1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Internet needed for install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tonypitt, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I'm a long time DirecTV customer getting ready to move to a new home. I called today to make arrangements to relocated with DirecTV. I was reviewing the confirmation email and noted that it indicated that the home would need a phone line and internet available for the installation to proceed.

I'm quite sure that the phone line is no longer necessary (which is good as I don't plan on having a landline phone at the new home). Does Internet need to be available at the new home at the time of installation?

I plan to have Internet established, but the home I'm moving to has poor DSL speeds. So, for the first time for me, I'm going to have to go with a cable modem. Given that I'm not sure about the wiring, I figured I'd have DirecTV come setup their resources and then have the cable company come out and set up for cable internet. I'm starting to wonder if I need to rethink that.

For my equipment, I have a Genie and an HD DVR.

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, you'll be fine without an active internet connection. You really do need it if installing a GenieGo or a DIRECTV Ready (RVU) TV since it needs to have an internet connection in order to activate.

3. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Techs get paid more if they can connect to your internet, but it's up to you. We don't have to have internet to install a Genie and an HDDVR. Of course they won't be internet connected and you won't be able to do VOD.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and if you need DirecTV to come back to get you connected to the internet, there might be a fee as apposed to free if the can connect you when they are there installing your system.

5. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    Thanks, everyone.