1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Internet not working for VOD but network is OK

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bobcity, Jan 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jan 6, 2009 #1 of 10
    bobcity

bobcity New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm puzzling over the fact that I seem to have lost VOD sometime in the last month or two. Just when I was starting to count on it.

Getting network OK, error 22 no internet when I run test.

It was working fine. I'm connected through cat 5 to a hub and then to WRT54G ver. 4.2.1 router and nothing has changed on my end.

I'm able to get other things like media sharing and active to work so I know the network connection is still up. I can even use DirectvtoPC to work OK.

My guess is that the latest upgrade did something to cause it to not work.

Searching the forum has brought me several similar complaints, but no solutions.

Has anybody else seen this or heard about it? Any ideas? Help!
    I hate to have to call for support.

2. Jan 7, 2009 #2 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If you haven't already, try resetting the DVR (red button behind front panel access card door).

3. Jan 7, 2009 #3 of 10
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Yes, do try what litzdog911 suggests. If that does not work, then try rebooting your network. Start with turning all equipment off that is connected to the network. Boot the DSL/Cable modem up, then the router, and so on.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #4 of 10
    bobcity

bobcity New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Thanks guys ... I should have mentioned that I already tried restarting everything router, modem etc. I did the DVR reset from the menu, don't know if that's different from the button reset, so will try that too.

5. Jan 7, 2009 #5 of 10
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Is the DVR on a DHCP setting or is it a manual IP setup?
    Is the gateway the correct address of the router?
    Have you tried setting the DNS to the DNS server provided from your ISP? To do this, open a command window on a PC that is connected to the internet. Type in ipconfig and get the primary DNS name and put that into the DVR network information and retry the network test.

6. Jan 7, 2009 #6 of 10
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    If you really have a hub replace it with a switch.

7. Jan 7, 2009 #7 of 10
    bobcity

bobcity New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Yea your right ... "switch" is the proper term not "hub". Us old guys forget.

All setting are correct:

gateway, DNS, and ip address is manual and specified in router.

Oh, and that would be "ipconfig /all" to get the DNS address.

everything was working until last software update I think.

Thanks.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #8 of 10
    bobcity

bobcity New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ah one more bit of info. I forgot to mention. The test gives an error for STB port, error #103.

I'm not familiar with this STB port. Is this indicative of anything?

9. Jan 8, 2009 #9 of 10
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    This indicates a network services issue.

Under the network tab in the system menu, do you have network services setup for automatic?

If yes, then the home router MUST support and have UPnP enabled for this to work. Some routers do not use the UPnP to it's full potential and do not let outside hardware to auto set ports due to firewalls that the router may have enabled or configured in the router. Sometimes it is necesary to manually assign the ports in the network service tab and set the ports to be forwarded in the router accordingly.

See the link in my signature for Network Help and then page down to the Port Forwarding section for more information or check out the DIRECTV Information, Tips and Resources forum for more help on networking as well.

10. bobcity

bobcity New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Thanks, I hadn't check this. Yes I'm set to automatic for network services and yes UPnP is enabled on the router.

Also, this was all working fine a month ago, so why would it just stop ....

and why do I still get the horoscope stuff?