1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Internet Performance Hopper with Sling

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bengalfreak, Jun 24, 2013.

1. bengalfreak

bengalfreak AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    I am considering switching from DirecTV to a Hopper with Sling/Joey system with Dish Network. I am going to be on the road quite a bit and I'll take advantage of the slongbox technology of the Hopper. But my wife will still be at home. My question is this: what is my wife's internet performance going to be like while I am utilizing the slingbox on the Hopper. Currently, our surfing abilities grind to a turtles pace if I am downloading something. Should I expect the same when utilizing the slingbox? And would it be just a simple matter of upgrading the maximum speed of the internet connection to remedy this?

Thanks.

2. Wildman63

Wildman63 Mentor

Dec 23, 2006
    I have the original Hopper with an external Sling adapter. The system has no real impact on my internet performance and works fine with my iPad. My connection is pretty fast (20 mb/sec down and about 4.5 up). Assume the integrated box would perform similarly.

This is a "random sample of one" and your mileage may vary.

3. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    I have Hopper w/Sling and use the Sling feature to my laptop all the time, have never seen degredation of speed with other connected devices during my viewing sessions.

4. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
  5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You will be uploading data to the internet with the video stream from your Hopper, most of her experience will be downloading.

She may experience some slight delay in requesting new webpages, etc. but once the request is sent the download of pictures and text will be at normal speed unhindered by your activity.