1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Internet service faster?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by satcrazy, Sep 12, 2013.

1. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    whats the best service twc offers for internet? Are there caps? throttling?

I have Verizon dsl no contract, no caps, but my speed is slow, and if I want to go up to next tier [ "up to "3mgs- you know it is never the high end] it wil go from 15 a month to about 34$ or so. I'm grandfathered in at that price, if I shift, I lose that. So I am looking at all options.

What's the best/cheapest from TWC? I don't want their tv, I have Dish and am good with that.

thanks

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I guess this may vary by location. I Have Optimum Online which is pretty much TWC. I have the 100/35 package. it rocks!!! no caps that I am aware of

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Optimum Online is Cablevision, not TWC. Satcrazy doesn't list a location, so I'm going to assume that, like me, the only broadband options are Verizon DSL and TWC. In my area the fastest TWC Internet option is 50mbs down and 5 up. Don't know the exact price for that, but when I signed up 3 years ago, also switching from Verizon DSL, it was $34.99/mo. for standard Internet for one year and then it shot up to $59.99. Looks like it's $61.49 now. You might want to go to http://www.getcableoffers.com/ and see what turns up.

4. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I have DISH for television and Time Warner for the Internet. I currently get 16.06 Mbps Download and 1.06 Mbps Upload. That is per Speakeasy Speed Test. Of course that will vary somewhat depending on the time of day. I bought my own cable modem and they charge me $55 a month for the Internet access only. This is for the 'standard' service.... They now charge an extra amount if you use their cable modem. The employees of some companies can get discounts for Internet access. For instance, my son works for Lockheed and he pays only $35 a month for the same service..... I download a lot of stuff off of Usenet and have never seen any slowing of speed after heavy usage.

5. Oct 6, 2013 #5 of 19
    satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm in NW PA. with Verizon and twc [ good guess bidger]

Jeez, paying double after the first year hardly seems worth it. I think standard internet with cable is about 10mg which is fine, and its good to see no caps or throttling. The cost after the first year is crappy.

I'm pretty sure you are required to "rent their modem" which is extra. Maybe not the best deal.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #6 of 19
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    You do have the option for owned equipment. When I signed up for TWC Internet online in 2010 it included a Motorola cable modem w/ 802.11g wireless that was free after two mail-in rebates. at the time they weren't charging for modems, but two years later they started and I was glad I had it in place.

TWC isn't a low-cost Internet option...well, they do have "Lite" and "Basic" options, but honestly if that's what you want then DSL would suffice. I wish there were an equal quality alternative available, but until then I don't feel "cheated" when I have the quality Internet TWC provides. Going back to Verizon DSL would feel like going back to dial-up.

7. Oct 7, 2013 #7 of 19
    Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    When they(TWC) implemented the new surcharge for the modem maintenance fee, the least they could have done is issue you a brand new modem. The one I WAS paying for was at least 8 yrs. old. I think they're getting too big for their britches, & had to let them go after 21 yrs. Customer service has to be one of the WORST in the business, with Verizon a close second.........

8. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I had Verizon DSL for 1 week. Hated the service, went with TWC. I have 20 up and about 2 down and pay around $40..I bought my own modem for about $75..it is a Motorola SB 6121.. which is on their approvef list. I live in NW. PA about a mile from the lake...

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I'm currently on TWC Standard (15 M down, 1 M UP) on my own Motorola SB5101U. Thinking about the 20/2 service for $10 more per month. Centurylink is my alternative and they really aren't competitve.

10. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Is that $40 an introductory price? Seems like they want more than that after 12 months. Nothing for me to bundle. I'm close to the lake as well.

11. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Is that $40 an introductory price? Seems like they want more than that after 12 months. Nothing for me to bundle. I'm close to the lake as well.

I will see after 12 months, if it goes up, I will downgrade the package..It still beats Verizon Hands Down !!!!!!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

12. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

Appreciate it.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I did finally pull the speed trigger after buying an SB6121 modem myself. The DOCSIS3 is defintely worth it, even for the "lower tiers". I'm generally getting 20 Mbps down, 2Mbps up for $45/month.

14. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Yeah Docsis 3.0 really helps with load balancing. We can easliy switch subscribers from one downstream/upstream channel to another should one become overburdened.

15. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    I called TWC yesterday and they admitted that they over charged me. I was paying $34.99 instead of $14.99.
    My speed has doubled and i'm paying $20 less per month. I will be credited the amount next month.

16. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    OK.

What package have you got for that price? Is it introductory? What is the regular price?

What is your download speed?

I'd be interested at that pricing.

Oh forgot to ask, are you bundling anything?

17. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Yeah, they've been running a new commerical with Bill Cowher touting a $14.99 price. Nothing about introductory. This is hilarious since they lost me as a 33 year customer over the new modem "maintience" fee. This extra charge brought my total up to $43.95. Long way from twenty bucks, huh? Anybody happen to read the fine print that's under the ad @ the end of the commerial yet? Curious as to what that really says......

18. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Haven't seen that here in NW Pa.

I thought you can own your own modem. Or is that fee the same whether you own or not?

19. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    No, the fee would be waived but that's not the point. As a company, would I be interested in losing a 30 year customer over 80 bucks? Things have gotten horrible out there.....