1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Speeds.. how does your State rank?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, Aug 25, 2009.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
  2. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    It's pretty sad when Russia outranks the US in download speed by a wide margin. :eek2:

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Rhode Island is the fastest, but that's only because both people that live there have broadband.

4. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    That's so 2000 and 8

5. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    There's places that I never heard of that outrank us.

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Gotta take those numbers with a grain or two of salt.

My speeds are 5 times my state averages.

If you live out in the country then it's unlikely that you'll have access to broadband as if you were in a city.

7. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    NV comes in at 22. Strange, because I'd have expected lower. We're usually in the "worst of" lists - and near the top. We're in the top 14 states for not going to the dentist for regular check ups - we come in at #4 , and we're #1 for high school drop outs.

8. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Utah, 44 and DROPPING (both in rank and speed.) :( I'm guessing economy, but it might also be more rural places being hooked up.

I know Qwest is working on Fibre to the neighborhood, allowing faster DSL speeds.

Cheers,
    Tom

9. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    These speeds are based on averages... the metro Atlanta area will tend to run much higher than rural Georgia as it benefits from a virtual complete rewiring of the city for the Olympics... even so, Atlanta is beginning to fall behind the curve.

The problem that we have here is that we lack a National plan for internet connectivity. You will find that most of the countries that are so drastically ahead of us have a National plan.

The various and many companies involved in the USA would prefer to wait around til it becomes an emergency and wait for the "government" to come up with the cash or tax breaks to improve the infrastructure.

10. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Well, at least I'm improving :). South Carolina is ranked 33rd, Alabama is ranked 32nd ;)

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Its an average, there are highs and lows anywhere...mostly determined by your ISP.

Notice most lower average states have a lot more unincorporated or rural land area.

12. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Look at our lovely incompetant ISPs. Rhode Island and Delaware are faster then New York City.

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Surely there'll be plenty of people out there scream that the United States is still #1, regardless of what the real data says.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Idaho is 49th but that doesn't surprise me with the amount of rural area. I do feel like the red headed step child though as Hawaii is beating us.

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This has less to do with ISP's and more to do with us lacking a standard and a roll out plan.

I typed more but it would get political so I'll just leave it with that

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Also don't forget smaller countries that are more recently modernized will have much newer infrastructure's than larger more populous countries with kajillions of people....failing economy, etc....some very small countries can upgrade the entire country for the cost of what a entire state would be here...

17. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Wow, I'm half my state's population!?!?!?:D

18. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    This whole thread just shows the reason why our government should invest heavily on technological infrastructure and soon....

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My state went from 15th to 30th and the speeds went down quite a bit. The economy (lack thereof) has a big impact.

As for the government being involved, that's probably not a good idea. They've been hard at work on it and left to their own devices, it will take years. Now that jurisdictions are trying to tax everything, there is a decided disincentive to install new plant.

20. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    My friends in Japan all have 100mbps connections. They tell me thats standard for Tokyo.