1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP Cameras and hardware to view

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by woj027, Apr 8, 2011.

1. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    So my wife and I have a new addition coming soon and I would like to get a more versatile baby cam other than the ones they sell at Baby's r Us.

I'm looking at the newer smaller Foscam cameras, and they have IP access through your internet browser and people have made aps for the Android and iPhone, but what do I do when we have our grandparents over and they have enough trouble with using their cell phone as a phone? How do I get someone who is inside the home to view the image without us having a dedicated laptop for them to lug around? I was hoping I could somehow get the video/sound to any TV in the house, but not sure how. I have 4 TV's but only one is able to be connnected to the internet, but I do have DirecTV Receivers that are connected to my router through DirecTV's Whole Home system.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions about IP controlled cameras (foscam.us comes to mind) and viewing their content on TV's either through the software on the TV or through a device like an DirecTV DVR or Apple TV?

Does anyone have any other ideas? one that comes to mind is just buying an iTouch, but still thats a few hundred dollars just to have a video monitor.

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Good question and never even thought about it that way. I have Panasonic IP cameras all over my house and I'm able to view them on my iPhone and iPad but never thought about feeding them to my Apple TV.

Off the top of my head you can simply leave your computer on with the camera image displayed... or even hook your computer video output to one of the TV's. Another option is getting an iPad to display the camera feed and just place the iPad in a spot where it can be seen easily..but that's an expensive proposition.

Hmm, guess I need to think more about this one. I haven't seen anything on the internet to suggest that you can feed IP cameras to the Apple TV.

3. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    If you have an HTML5 live stream or some other mechanism to get the video to play via Safari on your iPhone/iPad - you can then Airplay it to the AppleTV.

Otherwise, it'd be up to the application manufacturer to add AirPlay into their iOS app.

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Don't even have a camera here - so this is speculation on my part........

Maybe a program like PlayOn or Tversity on the PC streaming to media share on the DVR's using the software you mentioned?

Or perhaps to a WD Live Plus connected to the TV's?

Or walk into the room where the baby is and watch live? :huh:

(Just kidding on the last one.) :eek: