1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

iPad Air vs iPad Mini w/ Retina

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Stewart Vernon, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    So... last year was an easier decision... You pay a little more for a "full-sized" iPad, but you got 4x the graphics resolution, more CPU power, and an option for 128GB of storage.

But this year is a whole new ballgame.

From what I can read... it sounds like the new iPad Air (hits this Friday) and the iPad Mini Retina (2-3 weeks later maybe due to supply issues) have essentially the same hardware and power inside... only differing in form, but not in function.

Decisions decisions... still on a 1st gen iPad, so it's time for something. IF you asked me last year, I didn't want a mini because of the feature differences for not too much more money... but this year that gap is closed and only two factors I can see... Will the ~2" diagonal size difference bother me? And is saving $100 to get the mini a better way to budget?

Anyone else wrestling with this?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The Mini doesn't have the M7 co-processor, though I'm not yet convinced it's a big loss.

3. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    According to the specs on Apple's Web site, both the mini w/ Retina and the Air have the M7. They have a "compare models" page and virtually everything is identical except for the size and weight.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    From the images I saw from the Keynote, it didn't seem like it did. But looks like I did misunderstand it.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I got the mini last year primarily as it's much easier to hold for reading for long periods.

I tend to watch TV with my MBAir in my lap. I like keyboards!

6. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Our household has the ipad 1 (wife), the ipad 2 (me) and the mini (9 y/o daughter). For me it's a no brainer ipad air upgrade for the wife and me. I really like the mini, but I'm used to the larger ipad screen and find myself scrolling more when using the mini vs an ipad. There is definitely a huge difference in weight between the min and the ipads, much easier to hold the mini for extended periods of reading.

I think it depends on how you use your ipad. For text based reading, the mini is great, but I like the larger ipad screen for web sites and video. Am looking forward to the lighter weight, smaller footprint and faster processor on the air.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I actually don't see it as a no brainer for the iPad 2. Sure it has retina etc, but the iPad 2 is the second thinnest model after the air. I'm holding out for at least one more generation.

8. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    I have original ipad so Ipad air for me. The screen on the mini is too small for me.

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I admit I'm used to the larger iPad Air screen size... so I was defaulting to that... but saving $100 for an equivalent iPad mini w/ Retina and being able to put that $100 elsewhere is tempting.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Patience may be needed for the Mini, Tim Cook said they may not be able to meet demand this year.

11. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I currently have they now "Apple made obsolete" iPad 3. For me is a no brainer. I will be getting the iPad Air this Friday. I prefer the iPad better then the mini for the extra real state. for a "mini" screen, I use my iPhone 5s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My sister likes the mini because it is easier to take with her in her purse. It fits but the full sized one does not.
    She flies all over the country all the time.
    When she is home she has a full sized Ipad.