1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Rich, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I see a lot of the first generation of iPads up for auction on eBay. A lot of them are listed as "Wi-Fi and 3G". I'm assuming that you don't need to get a data package to use these if you are only going to use them with a router. Is that correct?

I would expect the prices on the first gen prices to start dropping in the Apple stores much as the series 3 iPhones did, is that a correct assumption?

Rich

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    While it may vary with the amount you plan to travel, we have found our iPad to be very adequate with only wifi. We do have iPhones so we have 3G when we just can't be near wifi. But since any hotel or condo we stay in has wifi (before we make a reservation), in addition to McDonalds, Starbuck$, friends, that leaves very little down time for connectivity.

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Correct. A 3G data connection is not required and you can turn it on a off as you please. It's pay as you go.

Yes, the prices will drop but probably not as much as you think. The 1st gen iPads will still be fully functional iPads even after the iPad 2 comes out.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This ultimately depends on how Apple decides to handle the transition.

Last year when the iPhone 4 came out... Apple announced discontinuing almost all of the 3GS models... and Best Buy promptly had a clearance sale where you could get the 3GS model for $50.

I agree that last year's iPad is still a great thing... and I'm keeping mine with no plans to upgrade to iPad 2 for that reason.

IF Apple feels the same, then expect to keep seeing last year's iPad at cheaper but not rock-bottom prices... IF Apple instead wants to move more people onto the new ones... expect to see some clearances soon.