1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipad vs Kindle fire HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Billzebub, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm looking for some advice. I never thought I'd want to watch a movie or TV on a 9 inch screen, but I did watch True Blood and Ray Donavon on my daughter's IPAD this week and I was impressed. Now I'm torn between the Kindle Fire HD and the IPAD. The obvious advantage to the Kindle Fire is the price. What I want to do is watch HBO, Showtime and whatever else is available online, plus watch recorded content when I'm home. This way, when my wife is watching the real housewives of anywhere on the TV I can plug in my earphones and watch something else.
    I'm not so interested in using the tablet as a remote, but I suspect that would grow on me when I learn how it works.

I have whole home with an HR 34, an HR24 and an HR22 and I'm a premium subscriber. I also usually get Sunday Ticket.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    DIRECTV works better in general it seems with ios stuff, as they seem to develop and deploy stuff for Ios well before android stuff.

Id wait till the new ipads hit in sept / oct no matter what, they always cause price drops for older ipads, or you may want a newer one. I am hoping the next ones will be a lot thinner.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Are you an Amazon Prime customer (primary account)?

4. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No, but I think I'd sign up for that with the Kindle Fire

5. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    I would not buy a Kindle Android device. Their market is just far too limited without Google Play. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather not root a device.

You can watch Amazon Prime videos on an Ipad for free (with the Prime membership, of course) so no difference there. You cannot watch Amazon Prime Instant video using most Android tablets without serious tweaking.

An interesting alternative for you may be the Nook HD+. Google Play market, and "fire sale" pricing at $149. Won't do Amazon Instant Video, however.

6. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    I have the IPad 3 and it works great with Amazon Prime and Netflix. I personally would go with the IPad over the Kindle just because of the apps available. You could buy a refurbished IPad 3 from the Apple store for $379 and I can guarantee you would be hard pressed to tell its not new. The come with a one year warranty also. Another great thing about the IPads is that they hold their value. Even if a new model came out tomorrow you would lose much value in the one you may have just bought (provided you bought refurb). Even a refurb'd IPad 2 (pre retina) is selling for $319! If your looking to watch movies, etc., I would go with the 3 or higher model with the retina display. Having never had to use the Apple stores customer service I can't comment on them but I can on Amazons. Their CS is fantastic. Hands down the best out there IMO. The wife has the original large kindle and after about 2.5 years the joystick cracked on it! Well, I knew it was out of warranty so I called Amazon to arrange to return it to have it repaired. The CS rep talked to me for about 2 minutes and said he was sending a new one out free of charge via 2 day del and asked me to put the old one in the package I received the new one in! No charge, no nothing! Now that's great CS.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Apple customer service is quite good as well, though at the store, you need an appointment for the Genius Bar.

8. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks. I think I'll go with the IPAD but I'll wait till October

9. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Good choice, welcome to the "club"

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club