1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Sep 11, 2009.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    What exactly can an iPhone do with an internet connection, but without a cell signal?

2. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Well then it becomes an ipod touch :lol:

and you can do pretty much anything you want to do with it (plus more app that are wifi only) except make phone calls unless you have this app -
    http://www.skype.com/download/skype/iphone/

but of course skype requires the other person to have it also....

3. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Meaning you have WiFi connectivity but no cell service? In that case, it would pretty much be an iPod Touch. You can use the web browser, access the iTunes/app store, send and receive e-mail, use Facebook, and any other Internet data, but you won't be able to make or receiver voice calls, text messages, voicemail or GPS functions.

4. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    You can do all that with an iPod Touch? Over Wifi?

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Sure! The iPod Touch is basically just an iPhone minus the phone and camera. Or, you could say the iPhone is an iPod Touch with a cell phone and camera added. ;)

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Does it have an address book? And can you load Firefox on it?

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Yes, it has an address book. I'm not sure about Firefox. If there is a version for the iPhone, it should also work on the Touch. They really are pretty much the same thing except for the cell phone and camera options. In fact, I think the run the exact same O/S, so if there were a way to physically add the cell phone or camera hardware to an iPod touch, it would work.

8. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Okay, I'm sold lol Couple network questions though. I currently have a wired network, and have NO plans to get rid of it, or my current equipment (Router and switch). However, is there anyway I can add wireless to a wired network? And then how do I make sure ONLY my iPod and PSP can access the network/internet?

9. tomkarl

tomkarl Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    Check out Apple's Airport Express. $99 and it will do what you want. As for restricted access, you can password restrict and also restrict access my the iPhones MAC address. It's as secure as any wireless network.

There may be other non-Apple options that others may offer up.

10. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Is your current router doing something special & that's why you don't want to replace it? Otherwise, why add a 3rd piece of equipment when all you need to do is replace your current router with one that does wireless.