1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

iPhone Voice over LTE

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Kevin F, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I posted this over at mac rumors as well. But maybe you guys would like to chime in.

Basically I saw this on my phone from a cool jailbreak app and it made me put my thinking cap on. The cropped screenshot is attached below. It has to do with my phone reporting that it supports VoLTE.

Kevin

Attached Files:

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've heard that they want to roll that out in 2014.

3. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    That's what I've heard too. But I thought new phones and other equipment were necessary to take advantage of it. I could be wrong though.

Kevin

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't think new phones are required (assuming you have a 4G phone). However, the switch to VoLTE is going to take some time. VZW is planning to begin it in 2014, but it'll likely take over a year before the whole country is switched over.

5. Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    In order to take advantage of VoLTE your phone must have a baseband modem chip that supports it... Which to my knowledge the MDM9x15 and later ones come with this ability packed in....

Now it being enabled to work on devices with the hardware is another story all together as it will require yet another trip through the FCC to get approval for that use as VoLTE was not provisioned for use in the device first go round to my knowledge.