1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPTV Viewing Seen Swelling U.S. Cable Bills

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    "Time Warner Cable Inc. (TWC) and U.S. pay- TV companies, weighing how to profit from surging Internet demand spurred by Netflix Inc. (NFLX) and Hulu, are on the verge of instituting new fees on Web-access customers who use the most.

At least one major cable operator will institute so-called usage-based billing next year, predicts Craig Moffett, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. in New York. He said Cox Communications Inc.,Charter Communications Inc. (CHTR) or Time Warner Cable may be first to charge Web-access customers for the amount of data they consume, not just transmission speed."

Full Story Here

As a Charter internet only sub, I would not be happy if my rates go up......

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    The FCC and Congress better step in if they try pulling that cap limiting BS. With Comcast I get 250 limit and I'm a heavy user, the most I have ever used during a 1 month period is 118 gigs and that was also downloading all my Steam games after I got a new PC 5 months ago

3. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Agreed. I would not be too worried about a 250g limit, but my fear is the slippery slope. They can always begin to lower their limit once they think they can get away with it.

It's like what the cell phone providers have done. There are very few left with reasonably priced unlimited plans. And some of them have already lowered their limits from their original deal.