1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

IR and UHF Remote Control

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Kelmey, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelmey

Kelmey Cool Member

Jan 24, 2008
    I was wondering if its possible to control both TVs with DishNet UHF remotes? I want to put my main receiver in my utility room (out of sight) and want to be able to control my TV1 and TV2. Is this possible?

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004
    Yes it's possible. I picked up several 6.0 IR/UHF Pro remote controls on eBay very cheap.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

3. Kelmey

Kelmey Cool Member

Jan 24, 2008

Thanks! So all I would have to do is get a UHF remote the same as I have for TV2 and program it for TV1? I called Dishnet and they never gave me a straight forward answer. How would I program to run the TV then?

4. wreck

wreck Legend

Oct 27, 2007
    You actually need the 6.3 UHF PRO REMOTE. You can order it from Dish Customer Service (mine was $25 which included shipping -- but I think it is sort of "luck-of-the-draw" with the Rep. you get!). The remote comes with extra "keys" in order to fit your needs with instructions. You will need to use a "green key with black lettering marked TV1. You can program the new remote to the TV brand you desire. Your Dish manual can help you too!

5. Kelmey

Kelmey Cool Member

Jan 24, 2008
    I see. So I have a DVR 722 receiver, will the 6.3 pro remote work with that? I'm confused as to why Dishnet would not give me this information. I talked to 3 different reps and they all played dumb as to the possibility of controlling both TVs with UHF remotes.

6. wreck

wreck Legend

Oct 27, 2007
    I don't know if they are "playing" dumb or are dumb. The newer reps (most of them) just don't know about it. Actually, your TV2 remote IS a 6.3 Pro. You just need to change the blue "2" key to a green one with a black TV1 on it. If you search this forum -- you can find a thread telling you how you can change a TV2 remote to a TV1 remote by using a paperclip!

7. klmay65

klmay65 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2006
    A couple months ago, my UHF remote stopped working. I called Dish Customer Service and they sent me out a replacement.
    The replacement was the one described above with different keys and instructions so you can set it up a number of different ways.

While waiting for the replacement to arrive I decided I didn't have anything to lose by opening up the "broken" one and seeing if there was anything obvious wrong (Dish did not want the "broken" one back).

I found the key in the "broken" remote had been dislocated (probably by one of the kids sitting or throwing it), and the switch the key guides got moved.
    I was able to get the key put back to the normal position and the remote was as good as new.

Long story short (I know... too late), if you have a "broken" remote, you may be able to get a new remote for free from Dish.

8. TulsaOK

Feb 23, 2004
    Why do you need the 6.3 remote?

9. TulsaOK

Feb 23, 2004
    The ViP622/ViP722 receivers are shipped with a 6.3 remote control. The 6.0 Pro remote control will work just fine with a 622/722 receiver. The 6.3 remote control has a switch for "A Band" and "B Band" and the 6.0 does not. If you're having a problem with the remote due to distance, switching to the "B Band" will usually solve it. If you need the ability to switch bands, stick with the 6.3; otherwise, as I said, the 6.0 will work just fine and they can be had on eBay for about $5 each.

10. Kelmey

Kelmey Cool Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Thanks for all the info, highly appreciated.

11. wreck

wreck Legend

Oct 27, 2007
    Because the 6.2 remote is IR only. The 6.3 is IR/UHF. I don't know about a 6.0.

12. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    No, a 6.2 is interchangeable with a 6.3 remote and is NOT IR only. The 6.3 has different colors on some buttons, is newer so would likely have a few additional TV codes and the like. Like a 6.3, a 6.2 has the A/B switch to select UHF Pro B range and can control a 622/722 (or the 942 it came with) TV1 via IR or UHF Pro.

The IR only remotes for TV1 are 5.2/5.3 (plus lots of other IR remotes).

A 6.0 can be either IR or UHF Pro, but can only control TV2 via UHF Pro - it can't control TV1 via UHF Pro like a 6.2 or 6.3 can.

13. Kelmey

Kelmey Cool Member

Jan 24, 2008

14. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    TV2 can only be controlled via UHF Pro and 6.0, 6.2, 6.3, or 8.0 remotes will work.
    TV1 can be controlled via IR by most anything (an 8.0 can't because it is UHF Pro only). To control TV1 via UHF Pro, you need a 6.2 or 6.3 remote and that is only possible on 622/722 (942 too, but not current).

The 6.0 remote will work fine to control TV2 IN PLACE OF the 6.3 that comes with the unit. You would need to use that 6.3 to control TV1 instead of the IR only 5.3 that comes with a 622/722 if the unit is in a closet. That gives you only one remote to control TV1 via UHF. That 6.3 doesn't come with the "key" needed to control TV1 via UHF Pro, but there are plenty of posts on how to make it work. You can just remove the key and change a switch manually.

If you leave the unit in Single mode, none of this matters as a 6.0 controlling TV2 will also control TV1 (very limited set of things that can't be done with TV2 remote). I'm assuming you want to operate in Dual mode.

Edit afterthought: TV1 on a 522/625 can be controlled via UHF by a 6.0 remote via a very different method (menu selection). My comments really only apply to 622/722.

15. kblee

kblee Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    OK - I have an "extra" 6.3 remote that came with my 722. Is there a way to get this to work the 211 receiver that I have upstairs in the bedroom? My 211 already has one remote, but it has a tendency to get misplaced by my wife.

16. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Remove the battery cover, put your thumbnail between the case and the blue "2" to push it out. Flip it over to the black side and it should generate IR and "Old UHF" (not UHF Pro). You would need to change the Sat mode address to match whatever is used on the 211 now.

Another solution ("better" in my mind) is to instead program Aux mode of the 6.3 to generate IR on the 211's address. If SysInfo shows the 211 to use address x, push and hold Aux, enter 3x#, and Aux mode will send IR and "Old UHF" for address x. Downside is explaining why you push Aux button.

17. wreck

wreck Legend

Oct 27, 2007
    I am relatively certain you can't make a 6.2 work UHF. I went through tech support (the service tech's direct line to their own Dish support) and had a local installer try a few tricks. You need a 6.3 to operate TV1 through a wall or in a cabinet.

(By the way, if you can ever get to this tier of tech support -- they are golden!!!)

18. TulsaOK

Feb 23, 2004
    I suggested to the OP that 6.0 remote controls would work. You, apparently, took issue with that. Now you say that you don't know about a 6.0. Maybe you should do a little research prior to posting.

19. wreck

wreck Legend

Oct 27, 2007
    I have done research -- you asked me why you need a 6.3. Because you do to get UHF.

20. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    We've been using a 6.2 to control TV1 via UHF Pro for several years. DISH ships a 6.2 as their "universal" remote with the set of keys as part number 135899 to control any (not 7x00 series) receiver.
    "6.2" UHF Pro TV1
    Or, for a specific user
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=812090&postcount=15

Golden isn't the word I'd use for someone that supplies incorrect info to their customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.