1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR Plumbing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by smiddy, Nov 28, 2008.

1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi there DBSTalk.com users. I have a Xantech setup already for controlling all of my DirecTV equipment, which is all within a central location, I call my Media Closet. I currently have two IR blocks, which are full. I would like to add a couple of more peices of equipment, does anyone know if there is a good source for IR distribution design? I would prefer not to half-ass a solution and make it as professional as an amature can do.

Thanks ahead of time for all your intelligent responses. :D

2. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    Suggest you go over to remotecentral.com

I had a Xantech setup which I replaced with Universal Remote Control Inc professional gear (MX-850 and MX-3000 remotes, MRF RF module). Fairly easy to setup and has been very reliable and URC Inc is a great company to deal with if there are problems.

3. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks, I'll give it a look see later this evening.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't know how many devices you need to control but I agree with hiker.

I use the MX-810 which will control 24 devices(MX-880 = 48 devices).

It uses IR and narrorw band RF. Universal and Lutron have gotten together so you can even have integrated lighting control.

They have other remotes that are IR/RF a with multi-zone abilities. One remote for the whole house.

My 2¢.

Mike

5. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks Mike,

I use my Harmony 890 for everythign now...but the Xantech IR blocks are full and Santa is being nice to me this year, so I'm adding a few more toys to the Media Closet. I'll give it a look, thanks again!

6. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    You should be able to daisy chain another receiver block on to your existing one. I have the CB60 and you can use dual headed jacks to connect one to the other. Should be able to do that as far as you need. You can also add IR receivers the same way. I have 2 IR receivers connected to one block.

7. b00bie

b00bie Mentor

Jul 30, 2006
    Smiddy

What blocks do you have (how many ports in each). Xantech makes a 490 series amplified block that has 10 ports which can support dual IR emitters and can be daisy chained to additional 490 series non amplified blocks (up to six on one power supply). If my math is correct that is a total of 120 emitters. If your closet is bigger than that I would like to see a picture.

Tom

8. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks Tom,

I have finally sat down and took a close look. My setup is essentially as the attachment entails.

What I intend to do is get Xantech's 795-20 which will allow me to have up to 4 zone seperation with up to 20 components. The original installers used single plugged emitters and spliced a second plug on for the Russound multizone video and audio distribution system. They then did a three plug for the DVD which was used on both receivers and the Russound. I'm going to tidy it up a bit and save the IR blocks in case I need them later.

Attached Files:

9. DaveP

DaveP Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 8, 2003
    What model(s) of LCD-friendly IR receivers do you use? I got frustrated with my cheapy Buffalo IR receivers not working well after I got an LCD TV. It wouldn't work at all during TV warmup, and there were certain days that it was flakey (sunlight?). I got the Xantech 291-80 tabletop receiver which doesn't appear to be relaying my HR20 commands at all regardless of the frequency setting on the back (but I know it works overall since it relays my Tivo commands just fine).