1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR to RF and now nothing works

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by badgerdave, Sep 16, 2011.

1. badgerdave

badgerdave Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    Hey Guys,

I was trying to switch my remote (for a H24-100) from IR mode to RF mode and was apparently unsucessful. Now I can't control the box. I've tried to gain control back by running through the RF switchover again--holding mute and select, punching in 961 and channel up and then the last six digits of the RID number followed by select twice and nothing happened. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Dave

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Try this:
    1. dtv [slider]
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 0 0 0 0 1
    4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    5. enter 9 6 1
    6. press CH UP
    7. enter the last 6 digits of the receivers ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
    8. press SELECT

3. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    You can use the front panel to navigate to System Setup and check More System Info to see if the box is actually in RF mode (scroll down a couple of pages and it will say IR or RF). Is it possible that the remote is not an RF remote? RF remotes have the FCC sticker on the back. I wouldn't think that a non RF remote would even take the code, but I've seen stranger things.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Most" remotes now have an R in the model [RC 64R] if they're RF capable.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If it is the remote which came with your H24-100, it probably is IR-only (mine came with a RC65) and does not have the FCC sticker on the back. Typically, only HD DVRs come with RF-capable remotes. RF remotes can be purchased from Directv for ~$25.

If necessary, you can switch the receiver back to IR using the front panel controls.

6. badgerdave

badgerdave Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    Yep, that's the issue. Not sure whether I used the remote that came with the box or just continued to use an older one, but when I went into my box of extra remotes and pulled one out with a FCC sticker on the back and it worked like a charm. I knew it had to something really basic that I was missing. Thanks for the pointers everybody.

Cheers!