1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is 1.2M *D dish protected under Fed law?

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by bgrpph, Oct 14, 2011.

1. bgrpph

bgrpph New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Trying to get HD from *D in Honolulu- will need the 1.2Meter dish- Does this dish come under FCC protective legislation that limits the restrictions that can be placed on satellite dishes by homeowner associations or is it too big or otherwise ineligible? thanks

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Off topic.... :D I'd love to have one of those, anyone know where you can get them without $100 for the dish, $100 for the mount, and $100 for the LNB?

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea, use a C clamp to clamp a SWM3LNB to a 1M or 1.2M FTA dish :) Solid 100's

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    :welcome_s
    So not covered in HI. Have you talked with Dish or DirecTV? Do you even need a 1.2M dish?

6. bgrpph

bgrpph New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    thanks for info folks-
    i did read the FCC site which shows OTARD applies only to
    dish up to 1 meter or less ( except alaska)-
    checking tomorrow with local sat installer who does both *D & *E to see specifically what required here in HI for HD w prem/sports.
    Few neighbors have 1.2 meter dishes installed w/o homeowner assoc approval- guess they'll be issues with HOA if HD service is avail from *D with smaller 1 meter dish-

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The FCC and their OTARD is very pro-user. I SUSPECT (but don't know), that if you had to have a larger dish in Hawaii to receive a signal, the OTARD would provide for that. You said some neighbors have the 1.2 dish; do you see other/smaller dishes also installed?

8. bgrpph

bgrpph New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    yes, Dish carries HD service on the smaller <1 M dishes. I just verified with local sat installer who installs both *D & *E that a 1.2 meter dish is required in HI to receive HD & prem channels.
    reading OTARD it seems the 1.2 meter isn't covered here so it could be restricted - interesting-

9. bgrpph

bgrpph New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    sorry 1.2 meter dish required by *D for HD service. *E uses 1 meter dish