1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is 1 line into hdtivo ok?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rb5505, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rb5505

rb5505 Legend

Dec 23, 2004
    what is it i can't do if i don't have 2 lines going into an hdtivo? i ask since i've only ever had one line going into every tivo i've had and i didn't mind it. is the hdtivo model more handicapped then a std tivo w/o 2 lines in? i'd kinda like to keep the r10 in the room with it. and no, more lines into this room is not an option.
    thanks.

2. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    The handicap is the inability to record two programs at once or to watch one live while recording another. The difference besides HD is the ability of the HR10-250 to also record OTA programming.

3. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    If you hook up the OTA antenna to the HD DVR, you'll be able to record or watch a OTA channel and do the same with another channel off of the single satellite input at the same time. Ideally, you would want the same flexibility by having the second satellite input. Sounds like you do have a second line but are using it for another receiver? If so, you could possibly cascade a second multiswitch to get the second dedicated line without having to re-wire the room or lose the second receiver. Read other posts to get more info on cascading a second multiswitch.

4. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Two satellite lines are required to properly record 2 programs at once or record one while watching another live. The menu must be setup for 2 satellite inputs for that to happen. If set up for two, the box can try to record something on the bare input. If set up for one, it won't let you record a secord or watch a second even if one is Sat and the other is OTA.

An external multiswitch must have 4 inputs to get 101, 110, and 119. Two lines only get you 101.

5. rb5505

rb5505 Legend

Dec 23, 2004
    thanks guys for the replies.

i have 3 lines coming into the house. the dish is 150 ft away via buried conduit lines (we're in a wooded lot). the lines were buried prior to getting the latest type of dish the 4 lines & tivo's. i had a 2 line dish at the time and just thought i'd lay 1 spare line in case 1 went out. looking back i wish i'd known to lay more lines.

equipmentwise, one room has a std r10 tivo w/1 line, the other room has another std r10 tivo w/1 line and 1 last line for the future hdtivo. i would like to keep the 2nd line going into the 70 hr std r10 tivo next to the hdtivo. since the hdtivo only does 30 hrs hd, i'm thinking i might not have enough left over on it to record std shows. if i find out differently, i'll put 2 lines into the hdtivo and unhook the r10.

i don't have a need to record 2 shows as once OR watch one live when recording another at the same. since having tivo for just over a year now, those options never made my wishlist. i guess mainly because we have a 2nd std tivo in another room. but, if i could add a 2nd line into the hdtivo via the multi-switch, i would.

but, as i understand it from greywolfs post, with only 2 lines in, i'm sol?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.