1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 168° a normal temp for a SWM-16?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mfryd, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mfryd

mfryd Mentor

Jan 1, 2010
    I know SWM-16's run hot, but I just measured mine at 168.5° F.

It's on the west side of my house, and the afternoon sun beats down on it.

Is this something I should worry about, or is this OK?

I don't think it an issue with this particular SWM-16, it's brand new and the old one ran at the same temp. I was experiencing intermittent loss of all even transponders. The tech replaced the SWM-16, and when that didn't fix it, he replaced the LNB.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If it is substantially over 130 (as it is likely to get in this situation), it should have already died. It is NOT recommended that these guys be placed in direct sunlight.

In a remarkably similar thread from a couple of years ago, someone from SW Florida was counseled that the SWiM16 normally runs about 60 degrees over ambient without the benefit of the sun beating down on it so your readings aren't inconsistent with this. The OP in that thread had pretty much the same setup and issues.

3. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I haven't put a thermometer to it but mine is "normally" so hot I almost can't touch it.

It is in the attic of my home in Central FL and I have it mounted on 1" nylon spacers so air can reach every side of it. If it is operating at 60 degrees above the ambient temperature, based on the temperature in my attic 168 is probably about right.

4. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Mine is in an open Air Conditioned setting. Just measured with Fluke IR Thermometer.

Other items around it are at 75 degrees (thermostat set at 76 so that seems right).

Depending on the spot on a SWM-16, it runs anywhere from 105 -117.

That would be +30 to +42 over ambient in house.

5. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Wow, I need to check mine. I have the same scenario. I should just drop the cables down into the equipment room and be done with it. 60 + the attic's normal 100+ would definitely put mine in that same category.