1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is 942 currently usable?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by interd0g, Sep 30, 2011.

1. interd0g

interd0g Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    Someone gave me a DVR 942 and up to a point it seems to work.
    It has been out of service for a while and at the moment it doesn't attempt to update its software. I can see from the channel headers it is out of date.
    Do they activate these any more or how can I get current software.?
    If no i will use it as a dish pointing aid.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DISH Network will no longer activate a 942.

I recommend recycling if it doesn't cost you too much to do so.

3. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    interd0g,

It is not supported any more and will not update the software. 942 receivers cannot be re-activated once disconnected. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

4. ejwhite

ejwhite New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    I found a Dish Network 942 receiver at Goodwill for a couple of dollars. I want to use it for OTA broadcast TV in another room. I currently have a 722k and a 922. I have connected the 942 to an extra non used cable from my dish. It works great. It gets all the local channels and records and plays back in HD. The problem I'm having is that the time is 5 hours ahead of my actual time. I have set the correct Zip code in set up menu, but that did not change it. Has Dish disabled things to make it difficult to use the box for anything? Is there anything I can do to correct the time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You must change time zone in the smart card if you want correct time

6. ejwhite

ejwhite New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Thanks, Unfortunately there is no card with the receiver. Is there any other way to set it?

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, that's not how it is working ...

without smart card any of your dish device is doorstop (perhaps exclude dtvpal DVR, but it's pure OTA), so the DVR has it, it's embedded; to check its numbers, press Menu twice; post TV screenshot for review

there is no other way to change timezone

8. ejwhite

ejwhite New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    I understand what you are saying. I thought you were referring to the cards they sent out years ago to change access. Yes, the system info menu does have all the info about the receiver. How can the time zone be changed on the smart card?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    by special EMM cmd - see SG Bible in Internet

10. ejwhite

ejwhite New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    You confused me with that one. Way over my head. My math still works. I'll just have to add five hours to the timer.

Thanks anyway

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea