1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a 3 second channel changing delay normal w/HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jn35, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jn35

jn35 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I just upgraded to the HR20 and have noticed there is a delay of approximately 3 seconds every time I change to a different channel. My 6 year old DirecTv receiver without a dvr changes channels almost instantly. Is this long HR20 delay normal? If it isn't is there a way fix it? Thanks!

2. stim

stim Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Yep, it's normal for the receiver to take a few seconds to tune to a new channel. This is because everything that you are watching must be stored to the hard drive before you see it, which takes some time. You can improve the channel change speed by turning off "native mode" in the menus if you haven't already.

BTW, this delay occurs on every DVR that I've seen (not just the HR20's).

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The biggest reason for the delay is because of the various formats now available (1080i,720p,etc.). The delay is most noticeable if you have Native=On. This is the way I operate, but virtually everything I watch is recorded, and when I do watch Live TV, it is typically go to the station and done. If you are someone who changes channels frequently, you may find that turning Native=Off and setting the resolution to 1080i or 720p 100% of the time works well for you.

Even if you do this, the channel change delay will not be instantaneous as you might hope.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Why doesn't it take that long for me to change the channel on HD stations that are coming from cable? I'm getting native resolution there as well.

I guess it may be normal for the HR20 to take that long to change channels, but it's not the norm and I'm not sure it should be acceptable.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If you change between channels of the same resolution there is virtually no delay as the HR20 and your TV do not have to readjust to a new input signal.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    There is alot that goes on when tuning to a different channel, the HR20 has to determine the resolution, send it to your TV. The TV has to identify it and process it as well; upscale, down scale as needed. As mentioned befor, if you turn native off, it will save a second or two, I prefer it on. A couple of sconds does not bother me because I end up with the results I prefer.

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Dave,

I understand what has to happen. BUT, if you reread my post you'll see that the problem isn't happening when just the TV is involved and resolutions change. The HR20 is the majority of the delay and it doesn't have to be that way. It's a problem. I guess in the scheme of HR20 problems though it's not the worst.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I guess it comes down to your experience. When I had cable I had 3-second channel changes from SD to SD.

Sure I wish it were faster but it's not a big deal. Use the guide to find a channel, don't just flip up and down (that's so 20th century)

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Are you referring to speed of channel changes compared to using the OTA tuner in your TV? If thats the case, you're forgetting the part about the DVR, where it has to buffer the signal before playing it back. Your tv is not a DVR so it doesnt have that step. Straight HD receivers like the H20 change channels a little faster, since they are not buffering the output. As was posted all DVRs do this.

10. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    No, it is not normal for channel changes to take 3 seconds.

Normally it takes much longer than 3 seconds, at least in Native mode.

Consider yourself lucky.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the slow channel changes are a sore spot with some people. For others, it's not a big deal. There are ways to mitigate the problem like using the Guide to find what you want to watch vs. channel surfing or prerecording a lot of different shows to watch later.

If you insist of using the channel surfing method, the HR20 will continue to perform at a less than desired level. Your best choice will be to turn Native=Off and select a single resolution (perhaps 1080i) by disabling the other resolutions. I prefer Native=On so that I can see the video in the intended format, but the cost of that is the slower transitions between channels/recordings.

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    3 seconds is quite quick and totally normal.

This is normal for pretty much *any* DVR. Every single model of DirecTivo I've had over the years takes at least 2 seconds. The DVR has to flush the buffer, start recording the buffer on the new channel and then display it.

So yes, 3 seconds it normal. It will take longer if you have Native turned on which means it must change the resolution output and then your TV may take even longer if it's slow to resync to the new resolution it's getting.

13. jn35

jn35 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks very much for the help, I do prefer it with the native on so it sounds like a good suggestion with a dvr to use the guide instead of surfing, I'll just have to adjust my viewing style. :eek2: :)

There was one other issue I was a little concerned about. I purchased a new TV to go with the HR20, a Sony KDL-32S3000 lcd. When there is that channel changing delay and the picture goes black for several seconds there is a circular, roughly softball sized cloudy area visible on the black screen. Have others noticed this? It is more visible against pictures with dark backgrounds. I just hope this is also a characteristic of the HR20 and I don't have a defective TV. I'm using a nice 6 foot HDMI cable I got from monoprice to connect the HR20 to the TV.

14. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I was curious so I timed my channel changes.
    Native On, switching to channels with different resolutions: 3 seconds.
    Natice Off, or Native on and switching to channels of same resolution: 1.5 seconds.

Yes, your non-dvr, non-hd receiver is going to change channels much faster.

15. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've taken to using the mini-guide(press Blue button on remote) all the time now. This gives you a 1 line guide, at the bottom of the screen and you can flip thru the lines quite fast. It's an easy a quick way to see what's on the channels ahead(or anywhere for that matter), without really blocking what you are viewing.

16. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006

Someone should inform this guy.

17. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    Interestingly, I get different times from different outputs.

I am sending hdmi direct to one hdtv, componet to AVR to hdmi to another. The hdmi direct channel change shows up on screen about one second faster that the component to hdmi conversion.

But life is too short to obsess over a second here, a second there.

18. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Someone about that statement doesn't sit right with me... after all, if life is too short shouldn't you be trying to save every second that you can? :lol:

19. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    Ironical, ain't it? Whoops, there goes another pesky second.

20. M3 Pete

M3 Pete AllStar

Jul 24, 2007
    On my Samsung SD Tivo DVR, there was virtually no delay. The HR20 seems glacial by comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.