1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a phone connection required to activate an 811?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by IanF, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanF

IanF AllStar

Jan 13, 2004
    Look outside to see the Moon crashing into the Pacific Ocean and George Bush marrying John Kerry in SanFran, 'cuz DISH called me yesterday to schedule an 811 install for Friday!

Suitably adrenalised by this development, I spent the evening making sure there are NO problems for Mr. Installer (pre-drilling holes for the additional cable, having fish tape ready to pull it, trimming back a shrub next to the house where the dish is). He'll have no excuse to leave without the job done...

That said, I just realised the downstairs rec room does not have a phone jack. (Our whole house is Siemens Gigaset wireless.) Is the installer going to gag over this, or if I tell him "Don't worry, I'll wire one up when you're gone" will he just hook up and go? I don't buy PPV movies so it shouldn't be a big deal, but I want to be 110% sure. Does DISH need this backchannel for anything other than PPV?

Cheers,
    ian

2. mica618

mica618 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2004
    I just got dish installed last week and i dont have a phone. They didnt even ask me if i had one so no you wont need a phone. I hope that sets your mind at ease. take care my friend.

3. mboy

mboy Mentor

Jan 17, 2004
    No phone on my 811. Oly hooked up to my 522 to avoid $5 monthly fee otherwise, I wouldn't hook it up to that either. no worries.

4. Wills77

Wills77 Mentor

Feb 27, 2004
    A connection to a land based telephone line is not REQUIRED to activated an 811, however the you will not be able to order PPV via remote (which you already meantioned, that you dont use anyways.

5. IanF

IanF AllStar

Jan 13, 2004
    Yee-hah: thanks for the clarification. On the good side, I don't have to spend this evening running a phone line. On the bad side, the wife will no doubt have some other chore for me to do... :)

Thanks again,
    ian

6. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    On the other hand, if you subscribe to Caller Id with your phone company, the 811 will do Caller ID on your incoming calls, but only if it's attached to aphone line. ;)

7. IanF

IanF AllStar

Jan 13, 2004
    Crap: good point. I can't believe I forgot about the Caller ID feature. Looks like the wife's list will have to wait... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.