1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is A-Rod worth $30 Million a Season?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Earl Bonovich, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I heard this on Mike and Mike this morning, that the talk is that A-Rod may become a $30 Million a Season player....

When he got his first contract... our jaws dropped...
    What about this one?

You could also throw Suzuki into that argument...
    Is he worth $20 Million a Season?

---------

It is astronomical to think, that these players... who pretty much don't have to spend a dime on anything related to their profession (equipment, training, travel, clothing, ect).... are going to make that kind of money.

If A-Rod does get that $30 million a season.... do you realize he will make more oney playing just 1 game.... then probably ANY of us make in an entire year ($185,185)... certainly with in the first week, he will eclipse 99.9% of readership here...

I know Profession Sports, is a difficult thing to do... only for the most talented and hardest working players.... and they do put in an 8 hour day (some times more), and isn't the greatest lifestyle to raise a family (which a lot of us put more importance on then $$$)....

But wholy molley..... that is an amazing amount of money.

2. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    Not discrediting the work involved with being a professional athlete, but I wish I could get paid that much for playing a game. I know its not all fun though.

3. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Its not MAY, Earl but WILL, even if he doesn't exercise his opt-out clause various incentives built in easily puts his contract over $30M per for the rest of the deal.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    ESPNEWS said the reason they are offering that much is if he does not opt-out of the contract Texas will have to still pay the Yankees the 30+ million from the trade. If he does opt-out Texas will not have to pay the Yankees that money. So if he does opt-out and then the resign him it will not be for the much.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There are two sides to this...

I don't believe any athlete is worth $30 million a year... not even Jordan in his prime. That said, however, if the organization takes in enough money that they can pay their stars... I believe the stars should get a lion's share of the revenue since they are who we fans pay to see after all.

Also... I heard yesterday that Ichiro signed for $20 million per year for the next 5 years... so if he is worth that much, A-Rod and other folks "worth" has to have taken a big leap upwards too... a new bar has been set.

6. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Actually Ichiro's new deal is a shade under $20m per. Its 5 years, $90m.

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 31
    bigbenny13

bigbenny13 AllStar

Jul 22, 2007
    The question is what is value. Obviosly if the market will bare it then he is worth it, or is he worth it in comparison to the stats of other players. In either question the answer is unfortunately yes. He is still young in baseball terms and could be on his way to 800 homeruns and 3000 hits, etc... What would you pay for a 30 year old Willy Mays, or Mickey Mantle? I assure you he will fill Yankee stadium for another 9 or 10 years(or their new staidum.) Trust me I hate those damn Yankees but they can actually afford it, easily. Their TV rights and merchandising alone is worth billions per year. Take it from a very jealous hater A-Rod might wind up being the greatest hitter ever and his in his prime, totally worth it to a team like the Yankees. The only other teams that could do it would be the Mets, Red Sox, and maybe Dodgers. Unless revenue sharing and a salary cap come(fat chance on either by the way) contracts like this will continue and small market teams will continue to struggle.

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 31
    bobsloop

bobsloop AllStar

Nov 22, 2006
    If someone will pay him that then he is worth it. He is nowhere near Oprah money.

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 31
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am a big Yankees fan (since mid 70s), but no one is worth $30 million a season to play sports.

10. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    I've always thought that professional players should be paid based on performance. They could get a guarenteed amount such as $300k-$500k. Any homer, RBI, stolen base, run scored etc. after that will be an added bonus to their paychecks. For pitchers; strikeouts, ERA, etc. A player's average could also add some sort of bonus.

Of course something like this has never happened and is probably never going to.

11. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    As you all said: if the market will bear it, which is obviously the case. FWIW, I don't think he's going anywhere. Steinbrenner won't let that bat go.

As for the specific dollars, he's still making less than most movie stars (a Tom Cruise/Hanks makes $20million/picture and sometimes do several a year). A sports player's work is much harder than an actor's in my opinion, so if anyone's getting paid too much it's Hollywood, not the South Bronx.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If I work 144 more years I could catch up to him. :)

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I also agree about the Hollywood v. Sports thing.

The athlete performance pay is an interesting idea, though.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Fortune magazine is running a story about the possible sale of the YES network. For 3 BILLION dollars. The Yankees team value is well over a billion dollars. The team has been drawing 4 million spectators over the course of the 81 game home season.

Compare those figures to A-Rod's salary. And he is one of the main reasons for all those fannies in the seats and the media coverage the team gets. Is he worth the money? Not my money. Don't care what he makes as long as I see him at third every game.

Is he the best "ball player" on the team? No. He has a hard time catching pop-ups. I think Jeter is the best all around player on the team. A-Rod is certainly the best offensive player on the team, but jeez, has a hard time with pop-ups? And if you watch every inning of every game as I try to do, you will see that difficulty manifest itself over and over. He gives way to Jeter every chance he gets on a fair short pop.

What an arm he has! Except for the pop-ups, he plays a great third base. How would we replace him? Chavez? And what would that cost? And he is not A-Rod by any stretch of the imagination.

In short, Earl, A-Rod is worth every cent his agent can get for him. We will never see a Mickey Mantle or a Willie Mays again. Or a Ruth of Gehrig. Or a Williams. But in twenty years, I'll bet A-Rod will be considered part of that group.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't believe you could justify that statement in a court of law. It is your right to express an opinion, but I have been a Yankees fan since 1951, and the only offensive player I have seen that I thought was more feared at the plate was the Mick. And I watched DiMaggio for three years.

If Mickey would have just taken better care of himself, Barroid would be chasing him rather than Aaron (I have nothing against Aaron, just rate the Mick a much better player). Or if Ted Williams hadn't spent so much time defending his country, Barroid would be trying to overtake the Mick and then surpass the "Splendid Splinter" who clearly would hold most offensive records if not for his most honorable service to this country of ours.

Would you pay a young Ted Williams 30 million a year today if you were an owner? You bet you would. And Willie and the Mick, too. And A-Rod.

16. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    Amen.

17. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    A-Rod is worth every penny he can get :sunsmile: And you might know he hit his 500th HR in a game that I couldn't not watch anywhere :( :mad:
    And if the Yankees are stupid enough to let him go, their front office is dumber than I thought. And believe me I think their front office is dumb
    :icon_lame

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC

There are lots of athletes who have performance incentives built-in to their contracts. Attaining certain goals, or playing in a certain percentage of games, and so forth can earn them more money.

The problem here... is that the players don't control their playing time... and there has been speculation at times that when a team knows a player is close to attaining an incentive goal, they may sit him down to cool off.

It also can effect players in a game, using football as an example... in a blowout game early, the starters are often pulled early in the second half. So if you were on a roll early, you might sit half a game and not get closer to an incentive... whereas if you "tank" a little and let the other team come back or stay close, then you can play longer.

I'm all for incentives... it's just that there is a lot of room in sports to fudge (either by the player wanting to keep playing or by the management wanting not to pay) the performance when there is an incentive at stake.

No team will sacrifice a game or a season just to not pay an incentive clause... but if you are winning your division, and you don't need the win... players sit sometimes and don't play, for various reasons.

19. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Someone will pay him.

If he can not choke in the playoffs, he is worth it.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Worth every penny, and I hope he resigns with the Yanks. That will insure his place in history. To go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, WOW! Fortunately he can make so much more in endorsements in NY than anywhere else in the country.

If only he had the emotional stability of Jeter. Jeter just plain knows how good he is and seems supremely confident on the field and off. A-Rod has been better this year this year and seems more confident of his abilities, which are probably as close to limitless as you can get.