1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Apple TV the best I can Do?

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by GripperDon, Nov 30, 2011.

1. GripperDon

GripperDon New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    I just bought an Apple Tv. Not even opened yet. I have a Mitsubishi 82inch 1080P Rear Projection TV and a 7.1 Surround Sound system I buile into the walls of my Viewing room. I can't stand the local internet supplier so I am looking to watch high defination movies and programing. I would like to internet over the TV's screen and had planned to do that via the "Mirroring" capability form my Ipad2. Am I really going to be let down, Is ther someting I should buy instead? Thanks for the advice. Gripper

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Have you given any thought on looking into a Boxee Box I use it more then my Roku player

3. Ed Campbell1367066131

Ed Campbell1367066131 New Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It all depends on how your system handles 720p.

We watch a fair amount of IPTV via a first-gen AppleTV and I'm the only one picky enough to feel I discern the difference between the 720p from this vs. 1080p downloads I get from DirecTV.

The rumor is there will be an Apple TV3 by February and it will have the A5 processor used in the iPad - capable of 1080p. I have a preorder in with the folks I buy Apple stuff from and will get one as soon as they hit the street.

AFAIC, the AppleTV, iTunes, Revision3 and any number of sources work to my fullest satisfaction for anything downloaded from the Web.

4. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Legend

Apr 21, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm still not convinced I shouldn't just repurpose an old Mac Mini instead and get everything I could possibly want in one unit. Of course, this only works if you have/can acquire a Mac Mini. All of the little boxen just seem to be a pick and choose of compromise.

5. GripperDon

GripperDon New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Thanks for the Comments. I did have a Mac Mini connected but Desired the AppleTV interface and its ability to Mirror what I do on my Ipad2. I'll look at the Boxee box right away.

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I think you should at least try the Apple TV. I use mine all the time. I also have a ROKU and other various ways to watch streaming content but my unit of choice is the Apple TV simply because it's easy to use the movie's coming from iTunes look great. The Netflix interface is also nice compared to other boxes.

7. lparsons211367066133

lparsons211367066133 New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have both the AppleTV 1 & 2. I got the 2 so I could rent missed TV shows. Alas, Apple did away with that. I'm not a subscriber to Netflix so that part isn't a big deal on the ATV2 to me either, and if I really wanted to stream Netflix, I can do it with a slew of different products.

I currently have the ATV1 re-connected as it does all that the ATV2 does that I actually care about, and I can put a video on its internal HD and haul it with me. Only downside is power useage and heat...

I have a Dell Hybrid that I use for HTPC, but as is usual, the windows screen on a TV from across the room is a PITA to read, or at least it is for me. But I use MobileMouse on my iPad to control it and have set a few pages on the web browser as seperate icons to make it easier to control and see. When I got the Hybrid, the Mac Mini wasn't good enough because some sites that I cared about were using Windows DRM schema and OSX didn't like it...

These days, I think I'd consider the Mini strongly as it does all of it.

8. Bandito1367066139

Bandito1367066139 New Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I bought the AppleTV2 and use it frequently with my iPads. It works very well. It also streams all of my iTunes content as well as doing you tube and Netflix not to mention sideshows of all my photos when the TV is idle. For under $100.00, I think that it's a great investment and it works just as advertised.