1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Bush Drifiting To The Left?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Geronimo, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogy

    Bogy Hall Of Fame

    13,242
    1
    Mar 23, 2002
    Treading water.
     
  2. Geronimo

    Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

    8,303
    0
    Mar 23, 2002

    6.2% for SS 1.45% for medicare fora total of 7.65% and if you are self employed double it.
     
  3. BobMurdoch

    BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

    4,009
    0
    Apr 24, 2002
    I'm against outlawing medical procedures (there may be a medical necessity for the abortion.), although I do believe they should be legal..... and rare. That being said, I also believe that an unwanted child is much more likely to become a criminal and a drain on society than one who is brought into a loving home. You can't force a person to be a parent. I believe abortion should be available to individuals who need to get one. Rich folks will still be able to get them by travelling to where they ARE legal, but the poor will not be able to, which is why I am for federal protection of the the right to choose. Many of the Bible Belt states would pass a ban in a heartbeat once the federal restriction is removed.

    As for capital punishment, I think it should be available for certain crimes, but used more rarely than it is now. Save it for the Dahmers of the world who take multiple lives, but our willingness to use it as often as we have has put us in a place where the civilized world just shakes its head.

    I was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of people who express a hardcore belief that all live is sacred in defending the banning of abortions, while talking out the other side of their mouth to "fry 'em" when they convicted of a violent crime that results in death to someone else. I also fail to see them speaking up in opposition to sending people to kill or be killed in Iraq (and create all kinds of "collateral damage") I agree that we have a right to defend ourselves. I agree that we needed to do something (and I have no moral qualms with beating down someone who wants to harm me and my family and then throwing the bone to the sky in Kubrickian glee), I just want to point out to those who use the sanctity of life argument the hypocrisy of their statements, when they throw that moral indignation out the window when it comes time to apply the argument to those already born....
     
  4. BobMurdoch

    BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

    4,009
    0
    Apr 24, 2002
    SS is a pyramid scheme. Current receipts go to pay current retirees. The problem is that those pesky old folks are living too long (so much for all those scary news reports that show EVERYTHING killing us from cancer or other toxic side effects). When SS was first established the average life expectancy was in the lower 40's. Most died from massive heart attacks in the their fifties if they made it that far. Now they are living well into their 70's and 80's and beyond, and paying huge sums of money to a medical system to keep them alive longer than nature ever intended them to. We can do it, we just have to devote huge sums to do it, and their isn't the political will to do so, so cuts will have to be made, or minimum ages will need to be raised. SS is the only system where you get more BACK from the government than you put in. That won't last forever.....
     
  5. Tom in TX

    Tom in TX Icon

    714
    0
    Jan 22, 2004
    How can that be? I thought Bush and the conservative Republicans were starving the elderly to death! I guess that if the Democrats were in power, they would be living to be 110 yrs old!
    Tom in TX
     
  6. delphi96

    delphi96 Mentor

    47
    0
    Dec 25, 2005
    He certainly isn't being very conservative in regards to illegal immigration. :mad:
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page