1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "clipping" allowed on D* HDDVRs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RMBittner, Sep 20, 2011.

1. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    I'll be moving to D from cable/TiVo, and I'm curious about one feature...

On the TiVo, if one show runs over its time slot by a minute or two -- and that's noted in the Guide Data -- the DVR will let me "clip" the beginning of the next show (assuming the TiVo needs to change channels to get it). That is, I'll miss the first minute or two of the next show.

This is really handy, especially since so many shows are now doing this -- running over the strict "on the hour" time slots to snag viewers. Otherwise, the DVR would see the two shows as "in conflict" and wouldn't get the second one.

Is this a feature of the DirecTV's software too?

Thanks!

Bob

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not really, but if it can, it'll over-record by 90 seconds. No guarantees though, it depends on the available tuner.

3. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    Okay...

If you'll bear with me, then...

What workarounds are people using if, say, both tuners are recording shows from 9:00-10:00 and then changing channels to get shows at 10:00-11:00, but one of those 9:00-10:00 shows actually ends at 10:02 (and the Guide Data knows this). What are you doing to get all four shows? Do you need to manually set the D* DVR to start one of those 10:00-11:00 shows two minutes later?

Bob

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" the answer is "you can't". You can have them start early and/or stop later, but not have them start later, or end earlier.
    What I do is use 2 DVRs and spread my network channels between them, along with having my local series links at the highest priority.
    Cable channels normally re-air the program later.
    This setup seems to work pretty well, as shows can change times/days, but will always be on the same channel/DVR, so there aren't conflicts.

5. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    Really good to know, going in. Thanks, VOS.

Hey, it's a TiVo feature I didn't even realize I'd miss!:) But it's definitely convenient -- TiVo even shows an asterisk by the shows it'll need to clip in its ToDo list -- so I'm hopeful it'll still be implemented in the DirecTiVo. But since we'll have non-TiVo DVRs too, it's good to have a better understanding of how things work.

Bob

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    My folks have only two dvrs they use for most their real recording. They record cbs and nbc and cw on one, fox and abc on the other. Never have issues. All the cable series are juts split between the two as well, but always record everything on any given channel on the same unit. cuts down on conflicts.

7. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Before I had 3 DVR's, I had to use the "manual" record for situations exactly as you describe. Start the Manual record 2 minutes after the hour.