1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

is Cloo being rebranded?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by fluffybear, Jul 27, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    did I miss I something? Is Cloo in the process of being rebranded?

This morning I flipped by Cloo and found myself watching Odd Couple. My first thought was it had to be to early and I flipped to something lie WGN but I double and triple checked and it in fact was Cloo (bug in lower right). I went to check the guide and found shows such as Taxi, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, & Bosom Buddies..

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's for the Olympics, a Classics marathon. Tomorrow is a Psych marathon, MacGyver on Monday etc. Sounds like there may be a Get Smart marathon in there as well.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Looks that way. Right now they're doing a Bosom Buddies marathon. Tonight they will be doing the same with Mork & Mindy.

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Ok, Thanks!

My only question is how does Odd couple and Laverne and Shirley, etc.. qualify as mystery shows? There is plenty of mystery type shows in the NBC Universal library which qualify as classics and could have been dusted off..

5. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    It's a mystery.

Just like the mystery of how this became...or will survive...as being a top tier channel requiring Choice Ultimate or better.

6. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Yeah, they could dig up the Mrs. Columbo series from 1979 that starred Kate Mulgrew as the old guy's murder-solving wife!

Kate went on to star in Star Trek Voyager as Captain Kathryn Janeway.

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Maybe they should rename it Clooless. ;)

8. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    If so, I'm going to try to fill my DVR.

9. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    I used to get cloo in my choice xtra package, and now it is gone. they moved it to the choice ultimate . have no idea why.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, this channel is the only one that I know of that isn't in Choice Xtra Classic. Since all the others are, I have to think they couldn't come to an agreement on it.

11. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I think we are going to see more "odd" schedules in the next 2 weeks..... The Olympics are rather popular, and I know my DVR will work overtime, and the TV I watch over the next 2 weeks will probably be 95% NBC owned networks. :D

Other networks probably feel they can't compete well enough with their new/original series, so they plan for a bunch of repeats, and pick up their season again after.

Among the 5% I will watch: Warehouse 13 on SyFy, just started up again last Monday!

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Hopefully! It's a dumb name.

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I like the first name: Sleuth.

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    So do I.

15. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I hope you had better luck then I did last Monday, just as the clock approached the hour and I was getting ready to watch the season premier or Warehouse 13, Blam the power went out. Once power came back on I was able to set a timer for a showing later on. And it took out the new episode of the Closer too.

Frustrating to say the least.

As for NBC I've got some timers set. Since that most popular of all sports, Curling, won't be on..............

I jest of course. But there isn't enough time in the day to watch everything so I'm being a bit selective. If things had gone as planned like I was hoping for then I'd have had plenty of time for the Olympics.

Can't win them all I guess. Oh wait I Can't win any of them.

Enjoy the Olympics
    TB

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    They changed from Slueth to Cloo because they couldn't trademark Slueth. Just like SciFi changed to SyFy because they couldn't trademark SciFi.

As far as it changing packages I'm guessing the channel costs too much for the ratings they get so DirecTV moved it into a higher package so they could get a better return on their money. Less people with the channel means they pay Comcast/NBCUniversal less money, and being in the Choice Ultimate package gets them more money from subscribers so they can take that extra package money to help pay for it. I personally think the Choice Ultimate package is a joke though and they should get rid of it. It only gives you a couple extra channels other than the Encore channels, and if you already subscribe to Starz you already get those channels. Like for me, I subscribe to Choice Extra Classic, Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, and Starz. For me switching to the Choice Ultimate package would cost me $5/month extra and only get me a couple more channels (I'm ignoring the music channels because to me they are worthless). I'd be better off switching to the Premier package, but then I'm paying for the sportspak that I don't really care about.

17. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    "Warehouse 13" would be among the 95% or greater as well as it is on Syfy... an NBC owned network. ;)

~Alan

18. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Yeah i saw the commercial the other day about some marathons. BTW does directv carry this channel in HD? i am currently with verizon fios and they only carry this channel in SD. I like watching cloo and wish i had it in HD.

19. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    NBC had originally planned to offer HD versions of Cloo (aka Sleuth) and Chiller about two years ago, however, they put this plan on hold and have not indicated if/when they will ever be offered in HD.

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'd watch if both channels if they were in HD.