1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is direct DNS input to 722 possible?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by GGA, Feb 11, 2013.

1. GGA

GGA New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I redid my network over the weekend in order to use Google DNS.

The easiest way would be to change the DNS in router/modem, but apparently my Verizon Fios router will overwrite the Google DNS with their own DNS. However, you can set the Fios router to Disable DNS, which is what I did.

This required that I individually set each computer and component in the network to Google DNS. My Sony S790 BD allowed to do this and it works fine.

However, it looks like the 722 reads the router for DNS. I don't know why but the 722 reads 192.168.1.1 for both the DNS and IP. I cannot connect to the internet and resets and powering off have no effect.

Any ideas on how I can get the 722 to read the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8? Would a dedicated router just for the 722 solve the problem?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    switch your 722 network settings from DHCP to manual and you must provide IP/SM/GW manually

3. GGA

GGA New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I looked around for a place to engage manual settings but I could not find one.

Any clues as to what part of the menu that might be in???

Thank you.

4. GGA

GGA New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I have not found anywhere this can be done and I do not think it is possible to manually enter IP/SM/GW.

5. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    All DISH receiver are DHCP only, you cannot enter any info in the receiver manually. I really wish they would and the option for those of us that know what we are doing and prefer manual entry.

Sent from my iPad.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    damn ... to many device in the household ... it's adding to that memory's mess while updating/upgrading/setting ... old models, new models ...

7. rkelzenberg

rkelzenberg New Member

May 31, 2012
    You should be able ton set the DNS address for google in your router and it will translate from your internal ip range.

8. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    I don't really see how Google DNS would benefit your 722 since it probably has few DNS lookups. However, if you want to do this, you would have to insert another DHCP server between Verizon's router and the 722. Probably the easiest way to do that is to plug another router into Verizon's router and plug the 722 into that. Then update the DNS in that router to the Google DNS and anything connecting to that router will get the Google DNS.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DNS have no knowledge about your personal non-routeble internal IP addresses !!!