1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DirecTV "flagging" commercials to make the DVR stop during FF?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Deftones, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I know I can't be the only person noticing this. I searched for a thread on this, but I can't find anything. This guy noticed too: http://www.the3dstudio.com/blog_detail.aspx?id=3362

Basically, when I am FF through commercials, it will stop. There are 2 specific commercials that do this. One is the DirecTV Cinema ones and the 2nd is not really a commercial. It's almost like one of those informational commercials with important information about something. I can't ever remember what it is, but it is annoying as hell to have the FF stop for a commercial. I certainly hope this isn't the future for commercials.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I haven't heard of this happening with regular fast forward or 30slip, but on 30skip. I believe it's been said its a bug with ads inserted by the DVR.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Here is the thread from back in Sep that discusses the skip

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That link and your post isn't clear as to what "fast forwarding" steps are actually being used.
    True FF [the button] shouldn't be affected, and neither is the supported 30slip function, BUT the unsupported 30skip option [setup by using a keyword search] does have a glitch in the current software for commercials that are intended to have local inserts.
    This will be cleared up in later software updates.

5. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    "Post sorta Deleted"

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As has been said, it shouldn't be happening during the FF operation, only if you use 30sec skip, and only during inserted commercials.

7. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    It is definitely happening during FF for me. I don't use the 30 second skip feature at all. Funny how it is a "bug" yet 1 of the 2 commercials it is happening on is a DirecTV commercial.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I've seen this and the DirecTV commercials are the ones that are being replaced with the local inserts, BUT fast forward has always worked here to get through them, when 30skip hasn't.
    You may have some other issue if FF doesn't work for you.

9. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Might "shouldn't" but it does.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Ok, let me state is this way...this would be the 1st report that I have read here that FF is not working...other reports were only when using 30sec skip.

11. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    How can I have other issues if FF is working completely fine in every situation outside of these 2 instances? Whatever "bug" there appears to be, it's affecting me during FF.

Well, I'm reporting it now. It's definitely happening to me during FF.

12. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    Ok, so the other commercial is a United Way commercial for the website www.bornlearning.org

Just happened a moment ago while watching Justified.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I really don't know how, but since I have had/seen the bug in question, and had some discussion with DirecTV over this and the cause of it, it does seem strange that fast forward doesn't work for you when it works for "everyone else". Now maybe more members will post the problem you're having, but to date there haven't been any.
    The source of the problem comes with a change where DirecTV can insert commercials that have been stored on the DVR, replacing those in the SAT feed. This process wasn't tested with the non supported 30skip, so this bug wasn't found. This is being addressed in a later software release.

14. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I am in no way saying FF doesn't work for me. I'm saying that on the random times there is a DirecTV cinema commercial or that United Way commercial, it'll stop for those ones specifically. Nothing else. I can begin fast forwarding after it has stopped.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Which is describing the bug with 30skip, but doesn't happen with FF or 30slip, which is what doesn't make sense [yet] with your fast forward issue.
    I'm not doubting that you're having an issue, but only that what you're posting matches another known bug that doesn't affect FF or 30slip.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Does this happen at all FF speeds? Using 30slip? Make any diff if you remove the progress bar?

17. jayerndl

jayerndl AllStar

Aug 4, 2007
    I noticed the same problem last night. I was using fast forward 3x to go through the commercials and part way through it just started playing (as if I hit the play button). At first I thought I must of hit play by mistake but then it happened a couple more times. I don't recall which commercials were playing. I just figured it was some random glitch.

Jay

18. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    You make it to be like I'm lying. Why would I make something this up? It does me no good. :lol:

Apparently I'm special, because this bug IS affecting my FF.

19. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I know for sure it happens in 3x, and I'm pretty sure it's happened in 2x once or twice. I don't know about 1x.

20. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Does this problem only occur on certain channels or DVR models?

I have never had a problem with FF or the 30 sec skip not working on my HR21-100, but I have only recorded shows on a limited number of channels - USA, TNT, my local CBS, my local Fox, Food Network, Universal Sports, NBS Sports (formerly Versus), ESPN, and some of the regional sports networks.