1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Directv still doing free HD for life promotion?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1 of 46
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    My "free HD for life" with auto bill pay ended this month, and I'm curious if they're still doing it for 2 years, like they were?

2. Dec 4, 2012 #2 of 46
    cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    Call 1-866-678-9471 and ask to speak to supervisor and tell them your bill
    is paid via credit card or from your bank account automatically each
    month and are entitled to another 24 months of free hd...:)

3. Dec 4, 2012 #3 of 46
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, I just talked to a regular csr, and he said they aren't running that promotion anymore, which I doubt is true. I'll try that.
    If all else fails, there's always retention.

4. Dec 4, 2012 #4 of 46
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    That didn't work....retention it is.

5. Dec 4, 2012 #5 of 46
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    I called a few weeks ago and was told it wasn't available anymore. I was given a monthly credit on my bill to make up for it.

6. Dec 4, 2012 #6 of 46
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    How is anyone entitled to this discount?

7. Dec 4, 2012 #7 of 46
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    It was started to combat Dish free HD for life. If you had auto pay and another forgotten requirement you got a credit on your bill for the "HD" charge.

8. Dec 4, 2012 #8 of 46
    Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    autopay & ebill

9. Dec 4, 2012 #9 of 46
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, they offered that to me as well, and said they'd do it for 24 months if I switched from my grandfathered total choice to choice, but I'd lose Fuel, which isn't good to me. I may switch to choice extra, and get $25 a month off for a year, and then worry about it in a year.

10. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    the only negative about taking advantage of programming discounts is that it guts the amount of credit available in the future for things like equipment upgrades and the like. Also taking a super sweet deal (like the one you mentioned) means that future programming discounts may be unavailable to you when these expire for a period of time. Personally, I'd stick with the grandfathered package as long as you can.

11. ebox4greg

ebox4greg AllStar

Dec 2, 2012
    Looks like they charge an "advanced receiver Fee", which is $20 (but that might because of a DVR), but if you go to autopay its only $10.
    so, looks like they still charge.

12. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, I see what you're saying, but we have had this same package forever, and if we take this deal, it will expire in a year, but we probably won't care about another package change at that point, or for a very long time.

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Then cancel your auto-pay.

14. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Incorrect, it's auto pay and at least a certain level of programming... just to be clear :)

15. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Free HD for life was only offered at a specific time to new customers. Other offers to compensate existing customers amounted to up to free HD for 24 months. There is no entitlement. If you wish to remove auto pay then go for it. With or without a discount I prefer auto pay for my D* and, really, all of my bills (partially because I'm lazy like that). If discounts are important to you, see where the auto pay gets you but don't be dismayed if it gets you nowhere. Discounts are not entitled, your programming is (at least to an extent these days).

16. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    You shouldn't even have to pay for HD to begin with, seems to me it's almost like paying $10 to receive the option of color TV instead of black and white, my local cable co doesn't charge anymore for the package or the receiver to receive all the HD channels that are available as standard channels.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But I bet if someone is SD only, they don't pay less. They may not charge it as a separate line item, but they do charge for it.

18. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm wondering if at the next price adjustment DirecTV will eliminate this fee as a line item on the statement. Of course, it would just be merged in with everything else.

IMO, it's just stupid to have a separate fee for the HD Extra pack. Yeah, it's supposed to be because those channels don't have an SD counterpart. It's charged because they can, there's no overhead on their part for this.

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Uh, no. The HD Extra Pack is an offering of additional HD channels, and yes there is 'overhead' as they pay to have those channels.

20. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    How much longer will they bother with dual SD/HD feeds of the same channels?

I realize there are many, many SD-only boxes in use, but eventually, wouldn't they want to move people to HD-capable boxes, and rely on the box to downres that HD signal to SD if being used with an older SD television? I would think dropping SD channels entirely would free up transponder space such that they could provide many additional HD channels that are currently only offered in SD.

But what do I know about it?