1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is DirecTV swapping out the AT9 for the AU9?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by machavez00, Nov 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nov 9, 2009 #1 of 19
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Is DirecTV swapping out the AT9 (sidecar)for the AU9?(Slimline) I was talking to the tech doing the Movers Connection™ install at my father in laws house and mentioned I have the AT9 . He told me that it should have be swapped out by now, and to call and they will change it for the AU9. Any truth to this? ​

2. Nov 9, 2009 #2 of 19
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Doubt they'd swap it out as long as it is functioning as it should.

3. Nov 9, 2009 #3 of 19
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Mine was swapped out when tech came out to retweek the dish and never worked with a AT-9 so he just replaced it with a AU-9. Other then that he never mentioned anything about a swapout program.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #4 of 19
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Only if D* needs to come out for a service call and they find it bad as has been mentioned. My AT9 is still functioning perfectly and there would be no reason to swap it out unless there is an issue with it.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Officially, AT9s are supposed to be replaced whenever a tech encounters one in the field. That does NOT mean DirecTV is actively creating work orders just to replace these dishes, but if a tech is going to that house for some other reason, the dish is supposed to be replaced.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Battlezone is right. They won't repair an AT9 in the field, but they're not wandering around looking for AT9s to replace either.

7. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    So the consensus is not to bother calling for a swap out?

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    IF you don't have a problem with your AT9, why bother?

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I have an AT-9 and it seems to be working just fine. Why would D* be replacing them at all unless they had a specific problem?

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    IS there something wrong with it?

11. FriscoJohnny

FriscoJohnny AllStar

May 6, 2007
    I have two DVRs:
    HR20-700
    HR21-200

HR21-200 stopped receiving any signal from the 99 and 103 positions (other birds were seen with no problem) after the summer software update. The HR20-700 had no problems with any of the birds.

I placed a service call for what I thought was a bad box. The tech that arrived stated that it was the dish. He swapped my sidecar dish for a Slimline 3, and both boxes were back in business.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    So you prove our point, if something goes wrong with your AT9, they will swap it out. But they arent going to swap it out just for the heck of it. The service call would have to be for something else, not just to swap a dish out because someone wants it swapped out.

13. swillotter

swillotter Mentor

Nov 7, 2008
    yes the side car dish would only be replaced if there is a problem with it as there are no lnb replacements available

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Again, DirecTV's policy is that AT9 dishes are supposed to be replaced *whenever they are encountered* by a tech. So, for example, if a tech shows up to replace a receiver (for an upgrade, or because the receiver died) or to add a receiver or pretty much for anything else, and there's an AT9 dish, it is supposed to be replaced with an AU9 "Slimline" dish.

BUT... DirecTV isn't booking appointments *just* to replace AT9 dishes if they are currently working.

15. sptrout

sptrout AllStar

Dec 29, 2006
    Spring, TX
    Is this a new policy? I had an AT9 replaced about two months ago, but only after the tech changed-out everything including the LNB's. Only after replacing everything did he decide that the dish was the problem. It was apparently warped, but not so much as to be visible to the eye.

BTW - - The problem was mid-70's signal levels on all the transponders that are needed for HD. The other sat transponder levels were all fine.

16. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    If your tech tried to put a Slimline (AU9) fitted LNB on a AT9, then it really wasn't going to work and he's an idiot and/or needs more training. While the focal points are close, they are not close enough for the LNBs to be interchanged like that.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The policy is somewhere around a year old at this point. That doesn't mean that every tech is properly aware, or that every contractor and in-house tech is following the policy like they should.

18. bur1196

bur1196 Cool Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between the AT9 and AU9?

19. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    AT9 was the old "sidecar" dish. It was bigger than the AU9 Slimline dish, and had a funky lnb assembly, one main and one attached off to one side, hence the "sidecar" name.

Here's the AT9

[​IMG]

..and the AU9

[​IMG]