1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is eBay a good source for SWM LNB's?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TBlazer07, May 10, 2009.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I've seen some pretty cheap prices on eBay for (allegedly) new SWM LNB's. More than half the price of SolidSignal. They even inlcude a P.I. & a splitter. Vendors (from feedback) seem reliable.

Anyome have expeience with eBay for SWM LNB's? The SWM3 are Around $40-$45 shipped. Just do a search on SWM.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    What isn't available on eBay for a good price? You really have to know what you are buying and sometimes need to read between the lines. If it looks too good it probably isn't worth buying. Now if the seller has 2009 sales and a 99.9% positive rating he just might be beliveable or read what he is leaving out for information. Avoid buying working products sold on an AS IS bassis use common sense.

3. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I bought my swm lnb from e-bay for about the same price you mentioned. It also came with the p.i. and splitter. It was brand new just liked described on e-bay. I would still be careful as you never do know but I have had zero issues for months now with mine!!!

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's not much of a secret that most of this stuff is equipment that "fell off" an HSP tech's truck (in-house or contractor). While most HSPs keep close track of receivers and switches, dish parts often aren't tracked very well. And I suppose DirecTV sees it as an acceptable loss, since it's probably going to be used to help a customer get DirecTV service anyway.

5. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I agree with you for the most part but when the seller has dozens of them (not just one) for multiple sales and hundreds of positive ratings I would be less concerned then if the guy had only one of them for sale and his 400 other feedbacks were for umbrellas and hand creme. :)

6. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Do you remember the name of the seller? 1 good reference is better then none.

7. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Bought my SWM-8, PI, and splitter off a relatively big seller on eBay and it's been just fine and half the price of regular Internet resellers. Since he's moved dozens of SWM LNB's and SWM-8's I'd not think these "fell off the truck".

8. Clark143

Clark143 Mentor

Mar 18, 2007
    I recently purchased the SWM LNB, PI, and SWM Splitter (4) from fourleafkipper32 on eBay.

I got it for $35 including shipping. Came in about a week from purchase date.

The seller actually gave me a SWM 8 Splitter instead of the 4 in the ad.

Worked great, but his packaging was terrible.

He shipped in a USPS Priority Box with no bubble wrap or padding. Everything was loose inside. The LNB was actually bigger than the box, there was no way it had fit without bending the box to give 2 corners a bit more room.

When I got it, it box had one corner ripped open with the lnb houseing exposed.

I don't rack this one up to the postal service's fault since the lnb was bigger than the box.

But everything worked so I am overall happy. (Reading all these post on setup on here sure helped too!)

9. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Bought my SWM LNB off of eBay and worked GREAT. How the guy shipped it to me is another story... Box was streched and in pretty rough shape. I was worried it wouldn't work but obviously those LNB's are TOUGH.

Happy with my purchese but as usual the price now is about half what I payed for it a few months ago and I thought I got a deal then. Oh Well, that happens with any new technology.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Many have gotten equipment off eBay but in personal opinion I would buy from a website such as solidsignal.

It's just my personal preference. I like buying my main A/V hardware for a place I can talk to if something goes wrong. Also you may not get a manufacturer’s warrantee form an auction site.

Most don’t have problems but you never know. :grin:

My 2¢ FWIW. ;)

Mike

11. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd agree there's a risk and I try to minimize it but paying half the price is very attractive and I've only been "burnt" once in 10 years buying off of eBay and even that got fixed. Very much a "buyer beware" activity though.

12. murry27409

murry27409 Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I just rec'd an SWM LNB off of ebay. Haven't installed it yet, but it was well packaged.

13. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I suspect from what I've read that I bought from the same vendor others have. I got the SWM 3 LNB with PI and an 8-way splitter (which I didn't need and could have used a 2-way). Mine though came better packaged than others are describing. With S&H it was $43. I decided to take a chance, and it worked out well. It's been working fine for about 4 weeks.

SMK

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It's a gamble, and I figured for $43 delivered (not counting a 10% rebate from Microsoft/eBay) including a 4port & 8port splitter, SWM3 & PI vs $178 for the same things from S.S. I'd give it a shot. The "odds" were in my favor for success. Looking at the guys feedback he's sold many dozens with 100% positive feedback on all the SWM stuff.

15. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    What I ended up getting was $43.99 delivered vs $138.79 delivered from S.S. The guy has 400 100% pos feedback all for DirecTV stuff.

It's an Eagle Aspen SWM3. There must be a hellava markup on this stuff. Well, I'll know for sure in a week or so what kind of deal it was.

16. pm7600

pm7600 Cool Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I've had my SWM3 kit (LNB, PI, Splitter, and a short cable) for about 2 weeks ($53.00 shipped - I guess I could have found it cheaper though), and haven't had any problems with it. The sellers eBay ID is "shaunisnow", and has a %100 feedback rating. It was packed well, and arrived quickly.

It had a small, round green sticker on the body of the LNB. Does anybody know what this means? Possibly "remanufactured"?

17. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    got my whole swm-8 system fro solid signal for 99 shipped last year, check for sales.

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Thing is when one "needs it now" they can't wait for a sale which could be in weeks, months or never. In my case $44 from eBay was the "sale" because it had to be done ASAP.

19. couchpotato

couchpotato Cool Member

Sep 4, 2004
    I have bought & sold many DTV products, including SWM LNB's off e-bay. I have a SWM3 with PI & 4 splitter for $35 shipped in lower 48 listed now, as a matter of fact. Search for seller just.some.dude if interested..

20. William1

William1 Mentor

May 11, 2009
    Forgive my ignorance, but I do not understand why you guys are buying any Sat parts. My entire system was supplied for free. For example, when I wanted to upgrade to SWM technology, my local provider (MASTEC) gave me a SWM8 module and PI-29, no problem.

I guess if you have a second home, do not want to pay for service at it and simply carry your IRD's back and forth, you may have to buy the equipment but this does not seem to be the case.