1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is "Free upgrade to Genie" a good deal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pakcyclist, Jul 20, 2013.

1. pakcyclist

pakcyclist Mentor

Aug 13, 2009
    Just got a letter offering to upgrade my HDDVR -- not sure of model # -- to Genie for free. (2-year comitment, $20 handling and delivery.) Sounds like a decent offer. Is it? (Main concern is, does this cancel the "2-years for free" HD access thing?)

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That is a good deal. It should not affect any promotions that you currently have. You'll like the Genie, especially if you're lucky enough to get a HR44.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, I would get right on it...

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd do it. One thing though, do you already have SWM (one coax cable going to your DVR)? Do you have any other receivers?

5. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    It may very well disrupt the $10/24 discount for HD access, but not necessarily. Does the letter mention anything else, or is it a one-liner? Best to verify with customer service prior to accepting. 800-531-5000 (enter account number, not telephone number..do not include any leading zero's).

-=K=-

6. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    If you have SWM with one coax going to DVR, does that mean you don't need a new dish?

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It means you won't need a new dish, but you may need a new LNB.

8. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Thanks for the info. I am more concerned about needing a new dish.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Probably need to move this over to your other thread.

The LNB is attached to the dish. So the installer might still have to access the dish. Depends on exactly what you have now and what you'll end up with in regards to number of tuners.

10. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I have 3 TVs. 5 tuners would be enough.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So a Genie and two minis. That would only be five tuners and if you have the SMW dish/LNB with one coax, then you should be good.

12. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I am certainly happy about that! Yes, a Genie and two minis is all I need.

13. bpc1097

bpc1097 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I can upgrade to the Genie. If I do the self install what are the chances of getting an HR-44, Should I just have Direct Tv do the install. I live in the Chicago area, so I am told the installers are only installing HR-44 in this area

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Chances are greater when the tech delvers the Genie to you.

15. Flugelman

Flugelman Legend

Nov 20, 2007
    Tried again today to upgrade to a Genie for the motorhome. The CSR tried valiantly to get her system to process a self-install, no CCK installation. Was not able to do it. :bang

My concern is that if they roll a truck with a CCK on the work order, he gets here, finds out that he can't install the CCK and leaves with everything. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with paying for a fruitless service call. :nono2:

Oh well, I'll try again in a couple of months.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well, since technically a cck is built into every genie anyway, I would not be surprised if it wasn't on every work order. I don't see why he'd leave if he couldn't install it. No different than if he showed up to install three receivers but you said when he got there you only needed two. I doubt that would cause him to pack up and leave.

17. Flugelman

Flugelman Legend

Nov 20, 2007
    Yes, I understand all that. I don't need him to come at all. It's the uncertainty of what would transpire when he gets here that has me hesitant to pull the trigger. If I see an installer in the neighborhood in the next few days I'll pick his brain.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If the tech leaves, you dont pay anything

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    actually "CCKs" are not built in to any work order. The WO states that the customer is "eligible" for the CCK. Eligibility is based on the customer having at least one HDDVR and has never been connected to the Internet using a CCK

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY