1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is Genie "stable" yet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dfielder, Apr 25, 2013.

1. dfielder

dfielder New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I've had DirecTV for about 4 years, and have been using the HR24's for the last 2, and am very interested in upgrading to the Genie, but want to make sure I won't regret my decision.

I'm curious about 2 things, reliability and performance. I know that when the HR34 first launched, I saw a lot of posts about crashes, freezes and miscellaneous issues. Is the latest software release stable enough that both of these are things of the past?

Regarding performance, for those that have come from the HR24, is the Genie as fast as the HR24? Will I notice significant delays in scrolling, and general usage?

I plan on keeping one HR24, and swapping the other out for the Genie, and then swapping the other 2 HR23's out for clients. Anything i need to keep in mind? I know that I'll only have a maximum of 7 tuners, but that's more than enough for us. I really want the ability to manage all my recordings in one place, and more imporatantly, want to have PIP back on my main TV.

Thanks for any responses!
    Doug

2. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    I've had my HR34 and C31 clients for over a month now and have only had to do one reboot of the HR34 that wasn't related to a software update. It's been stable and relatively snappy, even when multiple programs are being recorded. (It's not as fast the HR24 I also have though.) On the C31 client side, my experience has been glitch free, though the clients are used a fraction of the time that the HR34 is. Hope that helps.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    most of the bugs have been squashed. Although I would never replace and HDDVR with a client.

1 person likes this.
  4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Take a look here: http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/202897-hr34-genie-0x067e-issuesdiscussion/

This is the discussion on the latest firmware update.

I had the HR34 since September, it had a few minor issues related to software, but for the most part it has been very stable. The one thing I have noticed is the program guide sometimes seems to be slow.

I do not have the Genie recommends feature turned on, as I would rather schedule my own recordings. Also, though I think this has been fixed, in the early days, Genie would take all five tuners to record, while you were watching TV. When that happens, you see a pop up menu indicating there are no available tuners.

But, that is a small negative compared to teh fact that you can record up to 5 programs at once. I did not get a C31, I did get An HR25 (I think that si what it is; just Hdef no DVR), so I would not tie up a tuner. But, I can play recording from this device and even schedule a recording. Whole house networking does have its benefits.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This has never happend to me and I have Genie Recommends turned on

6. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    We have 2 HR24s and 1 HR34...the Genie is as responsive and stable as the HR24. Just a note about PIP...it takes several button presses to activate (it is not a one button feature). Go ahead...you won't regret it.

7. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Go ahead and get a Genie; you won't regret it. I have had mine for almost 1-1/2 years now and haven't seen any major issue.

I wouldn't necessarily swap an HR24 out for a client though. I find many times I am recording 4 things and watching live TV with the 5th tuner. I would keep my HDDVR's for now- you can always add a client later.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    PIP is like a child with a brand new toy. It pretty cool for about a week, then it never gets used. Just like 3D. Just the thought that I have to press 20 buttons to turn it on, tires me out.... :rotfl:

1 person likes this.
  9. dfielder

dfielder New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks for everyone's responses.

I want to eliminate the DVR's so that the Genie functionality works everywhere. I like having a centralized To Do list and Favorites list.
    I'll probably keep one addt'l DVR though, just for the added tuners.

PIP is very important to me...especially during football season. A question for PIP'ers, once you have 2 programs up, is it easy to swap back and forth between the two? What about pausing one, then swapping it to the PIP to watch the other. Does the program stay paused when you switch it to the PIP?

I've also been told, and just want to confirm, that the PIP only works on the HR34, not any of the clients, right? That's going to help determine where we actually put it. We watch a lot of TV in the bedroom and in the living room...can't decide which room to put it in.

Thanks again!
    Doug

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes.

Yes.

Correct.

11. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    That might be true for you, but not for me. I use PIP all the time, like when I want to monitor a live sporting event and watch another program. Or to watch 2 sporting events at the same time. Is it lacking in the usability column, yes. Because the remote needs more PIP buttons, like PIP On/Off to begin with. If you buy a remote with macro capability, you can get the one button press for PIP/On off. This makes it more useable, but you still have to watch the macro as it cycles through the 10 buttons to turn PIP on. At least you have the same down arrow button that you use to change tuners, that allows you to do PIP swap.

Seems that DIRECTV mainly put the feature on the Genie to be able to say it has it. And haven't enhanced functionality and instead went the other way, by going with the new peanut remote with less keys. At least if they created and provided discrete codes, that could be used in an aftermarket remote to give true 1 button commands, it would be a huge improvement.

12. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    To answer another question that seemed to be missed, I have two clients that get used a lot, no problems with them even with heavy usage. In the first two days or so after I got Directv there were a couple of hiccups but smooth sailing ever since.

EDIT: Life can be a pain in the balls sometimes. No sooner did I post the above statement that I went into my bedroom where one of the clients is located. I had paused MLB Network so that I could FF past the commercials. I pressed Play, then the >> button to jump ahead 30 seconds at a time, and it FROZE! I had to change channels to unfreeze it. So much for trouble free. Maybe I should put up a sign like Springfield Power Plant. Trouble free for 3 days...

13. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    FWIW, a DVR works just fine as a client box. I think the only thing you can't do is schedule a recording on the Genie from a DVR client. Other than that, my setup works completely transparently with a unified playlist. A centralized to-do list would be nice, but I don't really miss it. If something records on two different DVR's, big deal. In fact, I've got some shows that I purposely record on multiple DVR's just to make sure nothing goes wrong.

14. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Me too

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am a huge Survivor fan. So I record this show on my HR34 and on my HR23. The Genie for what ever reason decided not to record the last episode (something about a guide update) but but HR23 did. This is the only show I record in both places just to make sure, even though is available online nowadays if I ever miss an episode.

16. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Mine has been stable from day one. I've had it about 3 months now, and I've had no issues with it at all. :hurah:

17. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    I am an installer and have not had to go out and trouble shoot a HR34 or a Genie in a very long time. Yay!

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    now you are jinxed! :righton:

19. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    LOL I'm like Oddball from Kelly's Heroes...."I just ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work". The HR34 does what i tell it when I tell it. Works for me :hurah:

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Off-Topic;

ROFLOL; :rolling:

He ("Oddball" --- Donald Sutherland) was my favorite character in that movie, even though there were no hippies in the 1940s of course. And some other obvious major issues in the script were left open in such a scenario. Such as after they got the pilfered NAZI gold at the end, what's supposed to be next?

How are they supposed to smuggle a heavy load like that back to the U.S.?
    Then once here, who and how will fence it for them?
    And all the while, how will they all deal with the issue of their desertion from the Army?

OK, back to topic ...