1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is HDNet dying?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by wilbur_the_goose, Dec 23, 2008.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I just don't see anything original anymore... Has HDNet's time come and gone?

2. vurbano

vurbano Godfather

May 15, 2004
    I think it became irrelevant as soon as D* had more than a handful of HD channels.

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You mean the Bikini Destination marathon isn't quality programming?

HD Net should be doing what DirecTV is doing with the 101. Trying to grab some shows and not showing constant reruns. I will give them credit for presenting things like HD versions of Hogan's Heroes...but that only goes so far.

4. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I like certain programming like the concerts they sometimes show and the currently running World Coastlines from Above series.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Remembering when there were but a handful of HD channels, having two or three exclusively 100% HD channels like the HDNets and Discovery HD Theater was a really big deal. Even watching and showing off Dish's demo loop was profoundly gratifying to a long-time videophile like me. Now, with the proliferation of HD channels and HD choices, any one or two channels just isn't as significant any more.

One day everything will be in HD. It's called progress. That's just the way it is.

6. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Like when I was a kid...
    "Now, Bewitched - In color!"

7. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Especially now that there are new episodes. :lol:

But, yeah, I know what you're saying. Since the deployment of the additional channels, HDNet has really taken a backseat. I'm not big on the NHL or MMA, so they don't offer any Sports I care about. I enjoyed Dead Like Me, but I've been through that a couple of times, not even sure if they're still airing it. I didn't watch Dan Rather when he was CBS. They need to come up with something to set them apart.

8. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    It seems to be counting on "Get Out" to keep it afloat. Not bad as flotation devices go mind you, but yeah they no longer have the novelty of being only one of few all HD channels, they need something that makes them a more "identifiable unique brand" so to speak.

9. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    I watch Art Mann, Deadline, Dan rather reports, HDNet world report and a lot of the MMA stuff on a regular basis. I love HDNet.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I watch HDNet Movies a lot... I've never watched HDNet as much, though. Sometimes I'll watch Smallville.. I used to watch Enterprise a little and Torchwood when they had those... but I really didn't watch much non-movie content except sometimes they have college basketball.

11. Robbiee19

Robbiee19 Cool Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I have to agree with Nick. I thoughts too.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    For the most part, channels that don't have original programming are going to have a tough time now that most of the cable networks have gone or will soon go HD. Repeats just aren't very compelling.

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    HD Net is great for MMA fans. I love it. I am so looking forward to the next month or so. They are going to have some great MMA events live on HD Net. I also like the Coastline shows and Hogans Heroes as well. I love the channel.

14. WhoRu

WhoRu Cool Member

Nov 27, 2008
    I was disappointed there hasn't been any NHL games on this year either. There is the occasional good concert though and Get Out and Bikini Destinations on a 50 inch are...............excuse me while I scrape my tongue off the floor.

15. Annihilator31

Annihilator31 Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    They should start running uncut HD versions of ALF!!!

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    HD net is OK. Could be better though

17. Cpt Guavaberry

Cpt Guavaberry AllStar

Oct 15, 2007
    :nono2: Upsetting for a big hockey fan...not one NHL game this season on HDNET, or should it be HDNOT. :nono2:

It was a good quality feed last season. IMISS IT!!!:crying:

18. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    ^Sorry, my bad. Didn't mean to rub it in since I wasn't aware they'd lost the rights to NHL games. Like I said I'm not a big fan, but I have checked out some games on NHL-HD and they looked great! If you don't have the programming package to receive it, you might want to consider changing.

19. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    "You're watching NBC. The full color network"