1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is here a way to record The Daily Show/Cobert Report without doing a manual?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chroma601, Aug 18, 2013.

1. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    When I set my record preferences for these shows to First Run only, my HR44 keeps recording all the same day repeats of the program. I figure I'd have to either set up a manual recording or go through the to-do list and delete the repeats. Likely a guide issue. Has anyone found a way to just tape the first showings without having to do extra work?

2. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Not sure if this still works, but give it a try. Note since the original post, the CCHAN keyword was changed to CCHANS:

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If the First Run comes on the same time of the day , same channel , you can easily set a Manual record that acts the same as a series without it repeating the rest of the day.
    Menu, Recordings, Manage Recordings, Manual Record
    There you can set the channel, time of day, duration, how often it repeats, etc.
    After you do this it will show up in the Series Manager and it can be manipulated from there.

4. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    Steve, I'll try your idea first. Only problem with a manual record jimmy57 is that Comedy Central plays a bit loose with the start and stop times of its shows. Then again, padding was more of a problem when we only had two tuners...

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Just pad it, you only have to do the manual once and your done, no extra work.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I have the Colbert report set up as first run, and it only records the first episode. No repeats or multiple copies.

Maybe time to purge your guide data or reset your DVR?

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I notice now that none of the upcoming shows are using the generic program description that NNOT slant was meant to filter out when this AUTORECORD first worked. I set it up anyway on my HR44, to see what happens with tomorrow's airings.

Looking at the GUIDE data now, I'm not sure why a series link for FIRST RUN alone isn't working for you. :scratchin

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Or maybe just delete the SL and re-create it?

9. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    Naturally, the shows are going on a two week hiatus so I'll have to wait a bit...

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I noticed that as well. I think you should just try deleting that SL and creating a new one, for "First Run". I say that because I just tried a keyword search for "daily show", narrowed to "first run", and it came up empty. Another keyword search for just "daily show" found tomorrow morning's "Colin Quinn" episode, so it looks like the GUIDE data may now be correct, as opposed to the way it used to be.

11. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    One trick to this is to tune to the channel FIRST, then go in and set it up. That way it'll be on that channel in the set up screen and you won't have to scroll through the list.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This is True what you state.

13. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    SL is deleted, and in about two weeks I'll try again with First Run. Should that fail, I'll set up a one hour manual recording with padding (after being tuned to Comedy Central).

Thanks for the tips!

14. kpfleming

kpfleming Cool Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I use First-Run SLs for both shows, and they work fine for me.

15. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Allot of times and it sucks, is that the time stamp for the shows are not there, or even wrong at times. Who ever controls the guide and its stamps has really dropped the ball. regardless, i find it more reliable to tune to the channel and setup there, rather using the smart search that most of the time just plain doesn't work right to set up recordings.