1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is hopper a dual tuner unit...........

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bnewt, Dec 22, 2012.

1. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    just wondering if there was some way to feed other tv's a different program with the hopper, like you can with the 722?

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    yes, its called a Joey

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The Hopper has 3 SAT tuners... and now supports an add-on USB OTA tuner for a fourth tuner of OTA all at the same time.

Other rooms are supported via Joeys that link to the Hopper and use its tuners.

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    A key difference is that feeding a second TV with a Hopper is not free like it is with a 722. However, for the added cost of a Joey, at least you get HD and expandability beyond 2 TV's.

5. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    With the Slingbox adapter, you can watch a second tuner in a different location without an additional monthly fee.

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    The 722 feed to other TVs is SD. It is industry standard that if you want independent HD viewing on another TV, you are going to pay for another box (or a mirroring fee for an RVU TV).

7. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    how does this function? I have a tv upstairs that is seldom used. I would like to be able to acess the Dish programming, but it is not worth paying a monthly fee for tv that is used once or twice a year. Would the sling accomplish this? Is it wireless?

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    No, it allows you to view tuners and recording via smart phones and computers. It could work if the tv can be connected as a monitor.

9. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    The Slingbox adapter connects to your network-connected Hopper via a USB port. You can then access recordings or channels on your Hopper (note: not channels received OTA with the OTA USB adapter, nor recordings made by the OTA tuner) and watch them remotely using a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Note that the smartphone, tablet, or computer will require an Internet connection, and it really helps the speed if they're on the same local network. Then you surf to DishOnline or use the Dish Remote Access App, select your DVR and watch your recordings or live TV.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Sling Catcher someone ?

11. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    I've attempted to use 3 "Sling Catchers" in the past and had no luck with any of them. In my opinion those were less than sub par and I'm glad that was scrapped.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    may I get one from you to test ?