1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is it a good idea to purchase my own VIP722/722K?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by saiyan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    HI all,

I would like hear from those who purchased own their VIP722/722K DVRs.

It is worth it (for about $200)?

My current leased VIP722 is showing signs of pending hard drive failure (e.g. video/audio stuttering in recorded shows when recording multiple shows at once, unable to rewind OTA shows when all three tuners are recording ). I spoke to Dish support about replacing my existing VIP722 with an identical model or even upgrade to 722K or 922 but I was told the available replacements they I can get are 622s and some other lower end models. They said 722/722k/922 are not available for me. They did recommend me to upgrade to Hopper though.

If I choose not to upgrade to Hopper and plan to use VIP722 for many years to come, and if hard drive failure is something I may have to deal with every couple years, is it worth to purchase my own VIP722 or VIP722K?

Given the information I have read, I would be able to replace the internal hard drive myself without dealing with Dish's customer support or waiting for replacement units to ship to me.

Any opinions on this subject is welcome.
    Thank you.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know. If they are telling you that they can't replace a leased 722 with a refurbished 722... then what happens if something else besides a hard drive fails? You'd be stuck with a boat anchor. Also, you're subject to whatever point in the future when they decide to stop supporting even having a 722 on an account. That might be 2 years or 4 years or who knows. They have slowly dropped support for older models as they move forward.

You might be able to get a free Hopper upgrade... and then you'd be on their most modern equipment. Even if you had to pay something, you shouldn't have to pay anywhere near $200... they might even throw programming discounts at you for upgrading to the Hopper and extending your contract.

It's hard to encourage purchase of a 722 at that price for the reasons you're considering it.

3. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    If your leasing DISH owns the receiver and as long as you are a customer you will have a working receiver or a replacement on it's way.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    just call and complain: your DVR doesn't work properly, you can't play recordings ... follow all steps what they will conduct you to execute and complain after that it's still not working - they will replace it

5. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    His problem appears to be that he tried to get a replacement but they told him (and we have heard this before) they couldn't give him a 722 to replace a failing 722... so he might end up with a 622, which would be a downgrade from what he currently has... so he was wondering about other options since he apparently can't get a direct replacement.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    he could accept an offer for 722k + MT-2

7. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]saiyan,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I am more than happy to help you with all available options to get the receiver you want! If you were to get the VIP722, the cost would be around $249. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]If you’re interested to see what the Hopper/Hopper w/Sling would be would you please Pm me with the phone number on the account to better help you.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

8. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    It seems strange that the 2nd receiver listed on the Dish DVRs page is the 722k, and yet they're saying they can't replace one.

9. saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    Yes.. That was the issue.
    I chatted with a Dish support rep on the web site about replacing my current VIP722 or possibly upgrade to 722K or 922, I was provided a list of possible replacement DVRs and 622 was the highest model listed. I was told 722, 722k and 922 were not available as replacements.

10. saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    Hi MIke,
    I have another thread in the Hopper forum asking about the Hopper system.
    Once I have gathered enough information and if everyone in my household would like to upgrade to Hopper, I will let you know.
    Thank you.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    now check your options with local DIRT representative, they could be much better

12. saiyan

saiyan Mentor

Jul 12, 2006
    For those wondering about the replacement DVRs I inquired about, here is an excerpt from my chat with a customer support:

(Dish customer support): Upon checking, 622, 612, 222, 211, 522 and 512 are the only ones that we can replace with your VIP722.
    (Me): So my current VIP722 DVR cannot even be replaced with another VIP722 ?
    (Dish customer support): We don't offer any upgrades with 722 and 922 as of now, but since you're a valued customer, if you want I can give you a Hopper upgrade with no upgrade fee.

Dish customer support did offer me an upgrade to Hopper and that was the reason I posted some questions in the Hopper forum for more information.
    Also the free upgrade mentioned is available only if I have the "protection plan".
    When I mention I do not have the protection plan, I was quoted a one-time $95 upgrade fee.

13. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I think the protection plan is around 7 or 8 bucks a month and you must keep it for three months if you use it. That is a lot less than the $95 so that is what everyone does prior to the upgrade.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    seems to me there happened misinterpretation of your needs: 'Replacement' somehow been transformed to 'Upgrade'
    I would insist to replace non-working 722

15. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Mikr H is quoting a $249 fee to replace your 722, I think P Smith is right DISH is talking an upgrade fee not a repair replacement fee.

16. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Maybe Mike.H here can offer better help. There has been conflicting info at times through the CSRs over the phone. Though I do remember a few years ago when I attempted to upgrade a 622 to a 722 and was sent a 622! And I was given a new 2-year contract and everything, until I called and complained and asked what the point in that was from my perspective? They ultimately backed down on the 2-year extension... but I was stuck with that 622.

It isn't my only receiver, but it was my oldest and I was wanting to upgrade it... only to find out they couldn't guarantee it. I had always thought that if a receiver failed they would exchange you at least for the same or better... but it sounds like the thread starter here was not being told that.

So it could have been a mistake... or it could be a weird new Dish policy.

17. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    I have found that I sometimes get different answers to the same question depending on who I talk to at Dish.

But I agree, he'd be "replacing" a 722 with another 722, not "upgrading". Maybe they aren't understanding that.

18. naustin

naustin New Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Texas
    Maybe the problem in the replacement versus upgrade on a failing 722 is that the original poster doesn't have the Protection Plan. I wasn't aware DISH would replace failing equipt outside the contract period if you didn't have the Protection Plan. If they will, whats the value is spending money for the Protection Plan each month?

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    so don't spend the money if you are value them ... the boxes works fine for many years after 2 years period

20. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That makes no sense.

If Dish didn't replace failed equipment outside of the contract period, then nobody would ever stay past the contract when equipment fails. It behooves Dish to replace failed leased equipment if they want you to stay a subscriber. In fact, Dish needs you to stay a subscriber past your contract to really make a profit off of you.

The protection plan offers some additional coverage for usually more expensive service work... but it is in their own best interest to replace failed leased equipment with working equipment in order to keep you paying a monthly bill.