1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it (DHPP) worth it?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Artorture, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Artorture

Artorture AllStar

Feb 22, 2008
    When my promotion for the Dish Home Protection Plan ended I removed from my account. Since I am leasing my equipment I figured that everything will be done free of charge, hardware wise. Was this a good move?

2. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    From my understanding, the big difference between having DHPP and not is the cost to send a truck out to your house for a repair visit. It's something like $29 with the plan and $99 without it.

I dropped mine as soon as the promotion was over as well. I also understand that you can add it at any time, so if I ever do have a problem with my service that requires a visit, I will add it for that.

3. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    This is correct. If you experience any problems, you can add it at that time.

4. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I don't carry it anymore either. I had it when I owned my equip., but now I only have a leased receiver that is active on my account.

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Even leased equipment has a warranty period. Once that is up, is the subscriber not responsible for out of warranty repair?

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    From the February 2006 Tech Forum:
    Tom: Does leasing include replacement if there are any issues?
    LeeAnna: Leasing is a way to get an expensive receiver for a low up-front cost. All receivers have a 1-year warranty whether leased or owned. You can enroll in a warranty program such as Dish Home Protection Plan for the following year. DHPP is $5.99/mo, covers a reduced price service visit, free DishMover, and reduced price shipping.​

7. Kagato

Kagato Godfather

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm a little confused. My DVR broke over the weekend, and the I guess at the same time one of the LNBs drifted enough to go offline. Dish said they were sending a tech out free of charge. I said okay.

I don't know if that is policy, or because I'm a 10+ year customer well out of contract on the VIP622.

8. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    When enough LNB drift is detected, they will send someone out to fix it, usually for free. Is that what you mean by "your DVR broke" or was there something else?

9. Kagato

Kagato Godfather

Jul 1, 2002
    The tech over the phone said he was seeing error codes for both alignment and Hard Drive. Tech is here right now with a new 722 and new LNBs.

10. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    The LNB Drift issue superceded the HDDVR issue, good thing the phone agent probably noted the repair order to bring an HDDVR also.

Normally, leased receivers still have a $14.95 shipping charge, which DHPP waives.

11. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Shoot! When my DVR died a few months ago, I should have added DHPP, ordered the replacement and cancelled it when everything was back to normal. I would have saved $8.96. At least I got them to credit me for three days of lost service but I had to ask.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I had DHPP for two years and never needed it, so I cancelled it.