1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is it mistake to not upgrade my receiver and just get a bd55?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by gnahc79, Dec 16, 2008.

1. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    posted this on avs but got no responses so far...too noob of a ? I guess :).

I have a Denon AVR-1602 with Energy Connoisseur C-1s, a C-3, S8.2 subwoofer and 2 Take speakers for the rear. Is it most cost-effective to get a panny bd55 with analog outs for ~$310 or a new receiver + non-analog out bluray player (~$600, something like an Onkyo 805+$250)? My display is a 720p 42" 9uk, all video runs directly to the plasma.
    I have a townhouse and our setup is in the family room, so I can't exactly crank up the volume without startling the neighbors .

For the most 'bang for the buck' I don't see a huge benefit from getting a new receiver + bluray.

2. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    I thought the bd55 had a digital optical out.

3. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    lossless audio is only available through HDMI or analog outs and my receiver cannot decode trueHD, only DTS. However, from what I've researched so far I'm not missing a ton by just getting a bd35 and using optical out. hm....