1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is it normal to get a sunday install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by booboo, Jun 28, 2013.

1. booboo

booboo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Got our conformation DTV call today from a very kind lady. They were calling because we thought we needed to pay $20 fee to ship the receiver. Which we were not prepared to pay several days ago. During the call not only did they go ahead and waive that 20 bucks they also said we should be installed and watching TV Sunday. I was blown away by this. I've NEVER gotten an install inside of two weeks of a order. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining one bit! I've just never heard of a Sunday install have ya'll?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Of course. Sundays is just like any other day. I usually 3 to 4 installs on those days

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

3. booboo

booboo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Didn't know. Here in the Deep South of Mississippi they usually shut down on Sundays. I'm glad they are working this Sunday lol

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Didn't know. Here in the Deep South of Mississippi they usually shut down on Sundays. I'm glad they are working this Sunday lol

Unless is a city code prohibits it, DirecTV always works on Sundays

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

5. booboo

booboo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I spoke to soon :-( after she said Sunday we got a phone call. The installers called with the much hated automated phone call. They said it would be Monday NOT Sunday when they did the install. Which is no big deal really. I just hate when the right hand doesn't talk to the left. All in all I'm happy and on track to get rid of this page of my life.

6. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I'd be surprised if such regulations are valid anymore. Here in New York, the state had so called "blue laws" which governed what could or could not be open on Sunday. Even what products could be sold.

It was crazy how the state thought.For instance, you could buy a roll of toilet paper because it was considered a "personal hygiene" product, but if you washed your hands you couldn't buy a roll of paper towels to dry them because those were classified as a "household cleaning" product. Gas stations could sell only gas and oil and then only if they were poured into the car at the station. If you wanted to get some for your law mower you got it on Saturday. Even movie theaters weren't allowed to show a film before 2pm..

Fortunately the courts struck down "blue laws" in the 1970s.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  8. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    In wild and crazy Miami you can't buy beer before noon on Sunday.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Same is true here in Houston, Texas.

10. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I'd be surprised if such regulations are valid anymore. Here in New York, the state had so called "blue laws" which governed what could or could not be open on Sunday. Even what products could be sold.

It was crazy how the state thought.For instance, you could buy a roll of toilet paper because it was considered a "personal hygiene" product, but if you washed your hands you couldn't buy a roll of paper towels to dry them because those were classified as a "household cleaning" product. Gas stations could sell only gas and oil and then only if they were poured into the car at the station. If you wanted to get some for your law mower you got it on Saturday. Even movie theaters weren't allowed to show a film before 2pm..

Fortunately the courts struck down "blue laws" in the 1970s.

Yep, when this topic comes to mind, I always remember of Paramus. I once was doing a project for Best Buy and we could not work on Sundays. even up to this day, that store closes on Sunday

12. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    It sucks to be in your states with all those restrictions, but its not surprising.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using DBSTalk mobile app

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It sucks to be in your states with all those restrictions, but its not surprising.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using DBSTalk mobile app

Not sure is not that bad. Almost everybody (except emergency personnel) gets Sunday off

14. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Can't buy it at all around here on Sunday. Better stock up on Saturday if you plan to drink on Sunday, because they cut off sales at midnight.

15. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    when i had mine 34 installed a year ago, it was a Sunday

16. badbubba

badbubba New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Yes, it's certainly ashamed that those states have such foolish laws like that. Imagine how awful it is in those states it must be to have to actually relax on a Sunday or maybe spend time with your family. Such foolishness.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In my opinion, that should be up to the business, not required by law.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    But that is the "issue" If they leave it up to them, well we know the results....

I wish we had this "Law" where I live. no more 3 to 5 installs getting home by 9 PM on a Sunday night. :sleeping:

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    In the places I've lived (and currently live) that have had some form of blue laws, the 'restrictions' were voted on by the people.

20. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I have sen the truth of that here in Colorado. In recent history we have had 2 blue laws - motor vehicle dealers and liquor stores. The people wanted liquor stores to be able to open on Sunday so the law was repealed over the objections of liquor store owners. They argued (correctly) that sales increases will be miniscule while overhead increased noticeably. Car dealers want to open on Sunday (somehow not understanding that all it will do is spread the same sales over 7 days instead of 6) and get bills introduced to repeal the law but they are always voted down due to public pressure. People want the chance to walk the lot and look at cars without being pressured by a sales person