1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is it possible to get CBC(Canada) programming on DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by quietmouse, Dec 24, 2008.

1. quietmouse

quietmouse Guest

Is it possible to get CBC(Canada) programming on DirecTV?

2. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    Except for some NHL games on Center Ice, no. CBC Newsworld was on D*, but was bought out by Al Gore and changed to Current a few years ago.

3. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    The short answer? No. (Feh.)

4. ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv Legend

Feb 11, 2008
    CBC Would have to approve it and I doubt they would. BBC America would maybe be a good model (limited BBC programming supported by ads). But if you are from Canada, go through your TV listings and see how much American programming shows up on CBC, CTV, Global etc. How many hours of Canadian stuff do you even have to give us?

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Cable systems in the border areas often carry Canadian programming. If I had Comcast (ugh) I could get the Vancouver CBC station. There is a fair amount of Canadian content (I think they have limits on how much U.S. content they are allowed to broadcast.)

I have seen some syndicated Canadian programs on local stations at times.

6. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    When I was growing up in Burlington, ND (50 miles from Canada.) We had a 10 channel cable system and we had the CBC. Channel 6!

7. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yep, all of the cable systems in the Detroit area carry Windsor's CBC channel 9.

8. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    This actually keeps many folks in the northern tier from getting D*. Thedon'twant to lose CBC.

9. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    Another question, mostly out of curiosity -- For markets near the Canadian border (Detroit, Buffalo, et cetera), do the D* boxes with OTA inputs (i.e. HR20, AM21) find the local Canadian stations?

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I don't know about the other areas, but not in Seattle. Supposedly if you can find another area with the same real/virtual channels you can use that ZIP code to allow the tuner to select the station (of course, the guide data will be wrong). The Canadian digital stations apparently run pretty low power levels, so OTA won't be an option for many folks.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I remember when I lived in Erie, PA, years ago we'd get CKCO (Kitchener), CHCH (Hamilton), and CFPL (London) on cable. We'd watch the original "You Can't Do That On Television" shows, Curling every Saturday afternoon, senior men's Hockey Sunday afternoons, etc. and Hockey Night in Canada (when CFPL was still a CBC affiliate). It was great.

12. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
  13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Since they don't do an OTA scan, they couldn't find the Canadian stations. But Windsor doesn't have any OTA DTV stations anyway, so it's a moot point in Detroit.

14. fredandbetty

fredandbetty Godfather

Jan 28, 2007
    True, but you gotta admit nothing beats the ol' rabbit ears and Don Cherry on 'Hockey Hight In Canada!' LOL!!!

15. FUCCO

FUCCO Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    i have a hr20 and live in buffalo ny. I can get cbc hd with my hr20. i used a secondary zipcode for my ota channels out of arkansas. It is a pbs channel 5-1 that broadcasts on digital channel 20. Anyway the guide data is wrong but i dont care, With my db8 antenna i get cbc HD in all its glory

16. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    One of the reasons I subscribed to DirecTV six and a half years ago was because they carried the CBC produced Newsworld International. Sadly with its sale to Al Gore it changed to the silly Current channel which I've never watched.

DirecTV needs an international perspective on the news but we aren't going to get it from the CBC or even BBC Newsworld which DirecTV continues to refuse to provide, which makes the US about the only place on the planet where BBC Newsworld isn't available 24/7...

17. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    There are pepole in Canada that have used a US address go get Directv in the past. I dont know if this still happens but not having CBC may help cut down on this.

18. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    when i had a house with a 10ft wineguard, id always watch the canadian stuff..loved much music

all those stations still around free on bud?

19. Ice Runner

Ice Runner Legend

Sep 30, 2008
    CBC would be terrific to have during the Olympics because, from what I understand, they actually show most of the action live. And they'll actually show track events that don't have prominent Americans, which NBC rarely does.

20. TahoeTeal

TahoeTeal Mentor

May 9, 2007
    Hockey Night In Canada is available on DirecTV on the NHL channel 215 every Saturday.