1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is it possible to swap an access card between two DVRs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by rbpeirce, Nov 6, 2013.

1. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I just bought a house with an HD DVR that is newer than mine that DTV apparently doesn't want back. Unfortunately, I don't have the model numbers handy. I also have an SD DVR. Both have shows I haven't had time to watch and won't be able to watch for some time. Consequently, I don't want to activate another DVR and pay the monthly fee.

What I would like to do is sap the access card back and forth to record new shows on the newer unit and to watch old show on the older one. Preferably, I would like to swap between the SD and HD unit, which would eventually give me an all HD system. Alternately,, I can swap between the two HD units, ultimately giving me a newer unit. Is either possible?

2. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    You can't swap the access cards.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Thus sayeth the Lord DirecTV.

:coffee

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Plus, since the other DVR is from another account, you can't activate it on yours unless it actually was owned. Leased receivers may not be ones DirecTV wants back, but they still own it.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    once a receiver is EOL'ed, it can only be activated on the account that it came from.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You're only talking leased right (or owned without an RID).

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct.

8. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Thanks all. I don't know if it was leased or owned. Since I can't use it for what I wanted to do it doesn't matter.