1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it safe to switch satellite feeds with HR20 plugged in?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by UTVLamented, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UTVLamented

UTVLamented Legend

Oct 18, 2006
    I need to switch the satellite feeds to diagnose a potential tuner problem. Is it safe (for the HR20) to do this while the unit is plugged in?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I don't see why not. I have switch connections on my multi-switch with the receivers' plugged in.

3. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I don't see much of a problem with it, but you should be careful when you do it as the center conductor has voltage on it. If you short the center conductor to the shield/barrel/ground of the connector as you go to put it on, you are "testing" the DC output "current sinking" capability of the receiver. It 'should' be protected, but keep in mind, if you inadvertently short the center conductor to ground, you will be testing it. (and I'm not a big fan of doing this)

4. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Why would you want to do this?

It shouldn't be that hard to pull the plug before and then plug it in again later.

The only possible reason I can think of for this is if you are having a signal problem that only appears a long time after each boot.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Actually, to 100% reliably diagnose a bad cable or tuner, you really do need to reset the unit though. When I installed the BBC's, I think I had to power cycle my HR20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.