1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong for installer to take parts?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ft800, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 68
    ft800

ft800 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    When the installer was done changing my dish to a 5 LNB he said I could throw away the old dish. I noticed that the LNB was missing. I asked him what happened to it and he said he took it for a spare. I didn't care but felt he should have told me he was taking it.

A friend said that her installer told her that since she didn't have a HDMI connection on her TV, she didn't need the HDMI cable from the HR20 box and put it in his tool bag. Do you think it's wrong to take parts or is it something that happens regularly?

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 68
    CPanther95

CPanther95 Legend

Apr 2, 2007
    Yes, it is wrong. You own it - and if you want it, make sure you don't let him take it.

If you didn't care, no biggie - but yes, he should have asked.

The cables should definitely be kept. She may not need it now, but she may down the road - maybe for a different component. I've got a bag full of phone, composite, component and HDMI cables that came from D* equipment. It has saved me a fortune in cables. (and rightfully, since I paid for them)

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 68
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think that that was not right. The Installer could have offered to toss the whole dish for you and if you agreed, he could have then removed any parts that he wanted .. Although is it really right for an installer to re-use parts for another customer in this manner?

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 68
    ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006
    I think its wrong and its probably something that happens regularly. Its especially wrong for them to take an HDMI cable because they can't use it. That is the customers cable and they may need it at some point. If they call Directv, they probably won't give them and if they go to replace it, they are going to pay WAY to much for " Corrosion-resistant 24k gold contacts" or "10.2 Gbps transfer rate" that'll likely cost more than the HR20!

I hope you're happy, now that you got me on a cabling rant! :D

Seriously though, its way wrong.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 68
    chachster

chachster Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    That is totally unethical. As stated, if he asked if you wanted him to take it away, sure he can do as he wishes with it. But if he goes to another call and uses that LNB for one that should be replaced with a new one, again, unethical.

When I had my last HR20 installed my installer said "Oh, looks like I will be taking this other reciever with me as it states 'swap'" I looked at him and said if he wants to pay me for it, he could have it, as I own the reciever he was considering he should 'take'. As stated throughout this site, if DTV wants the equipment, they will send a box for it, an installer shouldn't be taking equipment.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 68
    jaycrow

jaycrow Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    On a related note, I just got my HR20 replaced during a service call, and the tech just left me the box with everything in it. He said "now you've got a bunch of nice new goodies." The only thing he took was my old access card. This essentially gives me 2 spare BBCs, a spare HDMI and component cable, a spare remote with batteries, and an old defective HR20 that I might just take a sledge hammer to.

Is it normal for them to just give that stuff away? I mean, he didn't even take the messed up HR20, which may have easily been repaired if they cared to do so.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 68
    cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    uhhhhhhhh, your supposed to ship the bad hr20 back. if u dont you could be charged 300 dollars.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 68
    jaycrow

jaycrow Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    The guy never told me anything about the bad HR20. Should I call D* and ask them? I'm not really excited about shipping it back on my own dime.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 68
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007

as cnmsales stated your supose to send the bad HR20 back to D*. within a week time D* will send you a colection box for the return. if you don't send it back within 10 days you will be charge for the non return.

now, when i had to return one that went bad on me i had to send the old access card with it. what reason would the installer have to keep the access card?? when D* normaly wants it to be returned with the defective unit.

10. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    1) The cables that get shipped with consumer electronics gear are generally "adequate". They will get the job done, but aren't anything special. This applies to all consumer electronics, not just those that D* is shipping.

2) This gets to my beef with D* about the need for me to purchase a protection plan to ensure that "their" LNBs on "their" dish are working. Or "their" dish is pointed properly, etc... The installers in question were in the wrong. That is the customer's LNB, HDMI cable, etc... When my HR20 was installed, I looked through the box and asked the installer if he wanted the component cables, S-Video, etc... as would rather they be put to good use than end up in my surplus cable box in the basement. I kept the HDMI cable though.

I would have greatly appreciated if the installer would have taken "D*s" old 3 LNB dish and disposed of it in an environmentally friendly manner.

IMHO D* is unfairly drawing the lines that separate what they own from what the customer owns in a manner that grants them a better financial position and in which they are not responsible for the removal/disposal of old equipment in environmentally friendly means.

Sorry for the tangent... :backtotop

11. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    The HDMI cables that ship with the box are more than adequate. They are just as good as the overpriced Monster cables or any other brand name HDMI cable thats sold.
    Component and composite may be a little below par, but with HDMI it either works or it doesnt

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Let's not get into a cable debate in this thread, there are plenty of others for that. ;)

I also agree that the installer should not have taken anything without first asking. That's a little presumptive, if you ask me....which you did. :)

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    OK my two cents:
    You MUST return any replaced equipment that is leased, since you don't own it.
    If you don't have a return shipping label [pre-paid], then call D* to have one sent.
    I've held on to some replaced units for a month before returning, without any problems. If you do get charged for unreturned equipment, this will be credited back to you when it is received by D*.
    Access cards should NEVER be taken by an installer.
    My first H20 was an "upgrade" to my Sony HD SAT-200, since it wasn't MPEG-4. The installer said he'd swap the boxes and take my Sony. My opinion was if he wanted to pay me the $800 it cost me, fine he could have it.
    Now I'll stop before this turns into fifty cents.

14. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    An installer taking cables from you is no different than if you bought a DVD player from Best Buy and the cashier took the cables out of the box before you left. It is basically stealing from you IMO.

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Warning: This is not a friendly post.

Talk about being hypocritcal. :mad:

So when the install wants to take parts off of a dish that is being removed, then it's "YOURS"

BUT

When there is an alignement problem or a LNB that has gone bad, then it belongs to D* , and they d*** well better fix it on their dime???

Please, give me a fraking break. You can't have it both ways people.

16. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    I had an installer take my Zinwell 4x8 powered multiswitch when they installed a 6x8 for HD. What ticks me off is that I bought that original multiswitch through Weaknees, not directly from D*. I didn't notice it was gone until a couple of weeks after the install. Oh well - not a big deal, but certainly presumptuous. I could have gotten at least a few bucks for it on eB@y!

17. CPanther95

CPanther95 Legend

Apr 2, 2007
    It's not hypocritical at all. Your scenario defies all common sense. The ownership is determined by contract between you and D*. The third party installer doesn't have the right to supercede that contract.

If D* changes their policy, then we can revisit the issue. But even a D* "owned" installer that takes property that D* says is rightfully yours is the equivalent of a rogue employee acting on his own.

18. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    IMHO D* creates the opportunity for some of these issues by the fuzzy way they market the systems. If it was clear that I owned all the HW and I then separately paid D* for a monthly service, then after the warranty period, any issue with the HW is clearly on me. However, when some of the equipment "remains the property of D*", then it begins to get kind of fuzzy about who is responsible for what - and it's even worse when I have no choice but to use their "free" HW, or they insist on sending a "free" installer.

IMHO it was a lot easier in the old days - I could walk down to BB or CC, pull a dish & receiver off the shelf, and it was mine - no ifs, ands or buts...

19. PANCHITO

PANCHITO Legend

Apr 7, 2006
    +1 and you forgot to mention when the installer don't take the box of the receiver you are leaving trash.

20. CPanther95

CPanther95 Legend

Apr 2, 2007
    Ridiculous.

An installer taking any of your property from your house is not condoned by D*. If they do it, it's no different than a plumber walking out with one of your DVD players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.