1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is MLB Superfan showing up to 10 HD games a week?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Italfra1, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    How many HD games has Superfan been showing a week. I'm not talking about games broadcast on ESPN HD 72 & 73. I'm talking about MLB CH 730 and 731. I go to the D* website schedule and it doesn't look like 10 to me. I've seen other posts that say the schedule is not accurate and HD games show up on the guide only a day before the game. Is the website schedule accurate info accurate? Or is that not updated with current HD info either?

2. Stunnerkline

Stunnerkline Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    That's a good question. I have SF but to be honest I haven't counted how many games have been on 730/731 since the start of the season.

I would say that there is at least 1 game on every night. It might be a late game (10:05 start EST) but it's been my impression that there's been at least one on every night.

The one thing that really does irk me about it though is that if a game that was supposed to be on 730 or 731 is cancelled (like a rained out game), they just leave it black. Why not put a different game on then? I can't see how this would be so difficult.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    The MLB EI HD sked is a freakin' joke.

Not showing close to 10 HD games a week, waiting until a few hours prior to game time to put games in the guide, etc.

4. vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    I'll grant you that the lack of advance notice is a major downside, but they had 14 games in HD in week 1 and 11 games on the schedule for HD in week 2, but the weather restricted the number of games they actually showed (unless, of course, your blaming D*TV for the weather).

5. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Actually the first 6 days (mon 4/2- sat 4/7) they had 11 in 6 days.

The first full week (sun 4/8 - sat 4/14) they had 13.

talking about channels 730 and 731 ONLY.

Since it's so easy to get the factual info, why post without checking first?
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P1700157

and the listings are put in at least a few days in advance.

6. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006

As I mentioned previously, this will ebb and flow. Some weeks there will be 6 to 8 games. Some weeks you will see 14 games. It all averages out to slightly more than 10 games per week. DIRECTV obviously can't say 10 games per week guaranteed because that's not the case as bandwidth availability is at issue at times and sometimes there just aren't that many games broadcast in a given week to distribute.

But yes, up to 10 is an accurate statement with some weeks having many more than 10 and some weeks less than 10.

7. capecodsooner

capecodsooner Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    One game a week is "up to 10" isn't it?? :)

Seriously, the weather did put a damper on the schedule so far this season but D* has been doing pretty well on the numbers per week in my opinion.

But on the other hand lots of folks will probably be steamed when all the NFL games, NBA, NHL, ect, count towards the "100s of HD channels" pomised for the future.

8. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Nice work. Way to break it down. I'm happy with the amount HD games right now. Plus you get a few here and there on 95 & 96 and a few games on ESPN HD 72 or 73. That's not bad. It's getting better and better. I think next season we will really see an increase of HD games, with of course an increase in price.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Can D* please start making the guide correct regarding HD games (94 & 95/730 & 731)?

10. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    probably not - BTW without reading the terms of the contract, they may have the right to select the games at the last moment, and might be trying to provide the best matchups. If so, I think that's a great idea.

11. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I honestly don't think that is what they are doing. Guide data for HD sports on 95 has always been a mess, with games disappearing, reappearing, or even popping up without any matching guide/info data.

To give D* their due, it's especially tough for them right now with the various sports they are juggling and trying to squeeze in.

But once the NHL playoffs are over, there is really no excuse for not having a two-week schedule of HD baseball that can be arranged in advance and held to (w/ the exception of rainouts). It's especially important for those folks who want to be able to record games of interest w/ the HR20. Once we get down to the end of the season, scheduling based upon pennant and wild-card races would be a good thing.

But I'm not losing any sleep over it, since this should be a thing of the past with the new birds going up.

12. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Hmm anybody know why I can't get channel95 which earlier today was suppose to have the Mets game and tonight have the Anaheim hockey game? I get a message telling me "channel not purchased"??

I tried rebooting the receiver but nothing changed.

Thanks

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Maleman.. have you been getting the other HD MLB games this week?

14. Kenwood

Kenwood Mentor

Sep 13, 2006
    For April....14 times the Yankees have been the HD game (plus 7 times for the Mets)

Twice this month the Yanks have broadcast in HD 3 days in a row

15. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007

Yep, Yankee's in HD is well worth $40 for the year. If there pitching staff would get on track it would be much more enjoyable.

16. Dan Serafini

Dan Serafini AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    Seems to me the reason the Yankees are on 730/731 is that YES broadcasts both home and road games in HD.

My hope is that EI will have mroe HD games once they are not fighting with the NHL and NBA for space on the HD channels.

17. drinkjack

drinkjack Mentor

Apr 9, 2007
    Tonights at least the 4th or 5th time a HD game has been rained out. Maybe I'm naive, but it is that hard to have a contingency plan? The Sox game is a HD feed, put it on. :)

Also, I'm really digging the Strike Zone Channel. Didn't think I'd care for it, but it's pretty cool when there's not really a specific game I want to watch. Or in todays case when the HD game is rained out.

18. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Totally disagree. It's just awesome watching George flush billions down the toilet year after year on his overpriced garbage teams. I love watching the Yanks getting it handed to them night after night in HD.

19. jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    ditto. :)

20. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    yes it is bitter sweet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.