1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my R-15 dying?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bud33, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Bud33

Bud33 Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I have an old R-15/500 that I purchased from Direct Buy in Dec. of 05.
    Up to now, it has been flawless but lately it shuts itself off. Actual, it loses the picture. The sound is still there. The Power light goes off and the record light comes on. The Blue circle stays lit.
    A quick red button reset fixes the problem.
    This only happens occasionally with weeks in between failures.
    Is this just a hiccup or is it trying to tell me something?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It could be bad power... is it on a UPS?

3. Bud33

Bud33 Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    No, but the UPS on the computer didn't activate and the TV stayed on.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Over time, if the power is bad to the DVR, it can damage it. That's another possibility. Personally, I'd recommend looking into HD... maybe this might be the nudge you need to move in that direction.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    $199 for an HDDVR plus $10 a month more just because of a problem with an R15? Maybe if you are a Wall St. Banker getting one of those big bonuses... ;)

There are lots of R15's available for sale...and you might even be able to use the access card that presently resides in your R15 that is acting up.

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Quick, sign up for the protection plan!

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, that might not be a bad idea. If you sign up and can wait 30 days for the plan to take effect, you could use it to get your receiver replaced at no cost. And since you most likely own your receiver since you got it before Spring 2006, your replacement would be owned as well.

If you replace your receiver without the PP, you might be forced to pony up the up-front lease fee for a new receiver, which would now be leased.

The cost of the PP is $6 a month and can be canceled early for a $10 fee.

- Merg

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ah, yes you can cancel the protection plan early but guess what? Any service and/or replacement equipment you received under the protection plan will be billed at full price!!

I found this little gem in the protection plan agreement which was sent to me when I got signed up for it without my permission by an installer. (It got canceled/credited as soon as I saw the $5.99 appear on my bill)

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Good to know. It's only fair though. I mean think about it, sign up for the plan for a month, swap a receiver, then cancel. That's a new receiver for 16 bucks. I can see why they make you have it for a year.