1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is my receiver dying?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by beer_geek, Aug 18, 2014.

1. beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I have an HR22/100. I'm watching the football game tonight. My screen went blank for about 5 seconds and then the game came back on with the full banner displayed like I just changed the channel to the game. My buffer has been flushed. This has happened a half a dozen times in the past week.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    * When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    * If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Sounds like some electronic thing on its circuit board is getting ready to completely fail.