1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the 211 that bad ?

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by butette, Jun 19, 2006.

1. butette

butette Cool Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I was planning to sign up for Dish HD package with the 211 receiver but after reading all the bad stories here, I am having second thought if it is even worth it. Would the 622 be any better, ignoring the DVR feature.

Thanks.

2. vinobabu

vinobabu Mentor

Mar 13, 2006

Except for lipsync issues thru optical cable..I have absolutely no issues with my 211.
    I did have some initial issues like black screen (no picture) , but those issues were related to poor signal from Dish, once I got the signal issues fixed..I have no problems.

3. butette

butette Cool Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. Reading the other threads lead me to think that this receiver is very buggy so I am incline to put off getting DishHD for now. I hate to think I will have to reboot this unit every day to address some problem. Heck I don't even reboot my PC but once a month or so, and it is running crappy Windows! ;)

4. dsanbo

dsanbo Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    butette.....
    You have to keep in mind.....for every ONE negative post here (and other fora)...there are literally HUNDREDS of satisfied users....This goes for ANY product or service.
    I've had a 411 for nearly 7 months now....aside from a glitch in the Caller ID circuit (which I can live without....) I've had ZERO problems. It's simply that I....and others....who ARE happy with what we have just don't post to say "HEY! There's nothing wrong!":D

5. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    My 211 has provided countless hours of HD since February, with exactly one reboot.

6. rustamust

rustamust AllStar

Feb 21, 2006
    As I have said before my 211 is great only 1 reboot while setting up and 1 last week after 3-4 hrs OTA and returning to sat. After that I go to the guide and then select sat channel. I have had set from Feb. and would do it again. My PQ on HD 20-30% better than 811 and SD is great. HD lite? looks good to me other than a little soft but how many of old movies are remastered before converting to HD. Seems to me that its still better than remastered DVDs. HD DVD wont go there as no interest in it for the next several years. Just my 2cents.

7. homertiger

homertiger Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    no problems here!!!:)

8. cbcampbell

cbcampbell New Member

Jan 13, 2006

mine is absolutely rock solid and has been from day 1. hdmi. hd. ota. all great.

it is by far the best non-dvr sat receiver i've used.

9. gjh3260

gjh3260 Legend

Mar 19, 2006
    no problems with my 211 using the HDMI input

10. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Reading this thread is very interesting. Except for the first few days following the 211's debut, this is the first thread I've read that's had everyone saying how great the 211 is. I watch/read this forum and the 811 forum closely and actually have noticed where the 211 posts had started becoming as bad as the 811 posts used to be. I, like the originator of this thread, had pretty well determined not to upgrade to the 211 due to all the negative feedback out there.
    A few posts up, someone said that his 211 had no problems except for the lip sync issues using optical cabling! If optical audio provides superior (the best) sound (and I always thought it did), that to me would be a major glitch & enough to keep me from upgrading.
    I'm not being sarcastic, but am I missing something here??:confused:

Ken

11. rustamust

rustamust AllStar

Feb 21, 2006
    The lip sync with optical out was fixed with 265. Every now and then I have a problem with TNT but latley it the same on SD and on wifes 510. Come on jump in the 211 game I dont think you will be sorry. My 811 lost favorites yesterday which is the first problem in months. Glad it in the RV.

12. BoisePaul

BoisePaul Godfather

Apr 26, 2005
    I've got to say that I'm fairly picky about my A/V gear, but at this point, I can't find anything wrong with my 211. Are there things that I wish it did but doesn't? Sure, but for the specified features it works great for me. I don't see any lip sync issues either. Now I just wish that E* would release an HD receiver that's RS232 controllable.

13. Tonik

Tonik Cool Member

Apr 20, 2005
    I am not trying to be sarcastic either, but I agree with you. Someone that has HDTV probably has good audio gear and a 'home theater' type of set up. I would think quality digital audio would be pretty high on their list.

I think two things are happening here. One, Dish has been successful in driving down peoples expectations by consistantly shipping defective product. I know that is harsh but non-working optical audio is a defect.

And two, there are currently no other choices for many of us.

14. homertiger

homertiger Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I am watching "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" right now on "TNTHD"with no lip sync problem (Dolby Digital, Optical). I have noticed before that TNTHD had lip sync issues, but only TNTHD. So this makes me think that it was TNTHD, not the 211.

15. thomas_d92

thomas_d92 AllStar

Nov 29, 2004
    I have my 411 for 4 months and no problems with hdmi or anything else . My 622 has lost its hdmi output but everything else is perfect.

16. butette

butette Cool Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I ran into a Dish Network installation guy today and asked him about this very issue, and he told me NOT to get the HD package for now since they are seeing a lot of problems with all the software "upgrade". That says a lot coming from a Dish N. guy.

17. davidxlai

davidxlai AllStar

Jan 20, 2006
    My 211 has been working flawlessly since I got it in February. No reboot.

18. homertiger

homertiger Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    BS

19. butette

butette Cool Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Why do you think this is BS ? What he said makes perfect sense to me. He said if you want to get Dish Network, get the regular package for now, and wait a few months for them to work through the software bugs, then upgrade to the HD package. Support people do not want to install and sell crappy product anymore than consumer wants to buy them, unless you are the exception.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps the guy needs to find a new line of work if he doesn't have confidence in the products he is installing. That says a lot.