1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Dish 3750 incompatible with Tivo??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rummy, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rummy

Rummy Guest

I have looked at Tivo community and elsewhere and cant find a workaround for Tivo to control Dish 3750 (receiver used in apt buildings with Dish installed for the whole building).

The IR codes are not working. I have placed the IR emitters properly and everything else works but Tivo cant change channels on the Dish receiver.

thanks for any help

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Push the system info button on the remote. On the system info screen see if the remote address is #1, I believe that is required for TiVo to control the receiver. :)

3. the 3750 QAM is not compatible with tivo. it is also not compatible with anything other than rg59 cabling, either. the 3750 is used in commercial multiple dwelling unit installations only - and only in cases were the conversion from cable to dish network took place. to simplify the installation and save money, the installers use the existing (rg59) wiring. mind you, dish network installations are usually only compatible with cabling that is rg6 +. the 3750s and 351s are the only QAM receivers; meaning that they are the only receivers that can be used with such low-grade cabling. Quadritude Amplification Modulator is what i think it stands for if i can remember correctly. instead of the normal satellite/transponder view in the point dish screen, these receivers read frequencies only.

i hope that helps.

:)

4. Does the 3750 not have Composite Outputs which would allow a Tivo to be connected? True it may not be able to control the TIVO for lack of IR blaster...but you could leave the 3750 turned on and record using a TIVO just as you could a VCR.

RG59 only? Your kidding right? Why do you think RG59 has special properties over RG6 that would not make RG6 backward compatible with any RG59 system? RG6 is better period.

Next time try logging in or registering...your lame uneducated response leaves room for good taste.

5. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I LOVE this...from someone who posts as a "guest" beating up another poster posting as a "guest". :lol: :lol:

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yeah - I got a laugh out of that, too. :D

7. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    What Simon said... :D

8. i'm posting as a guest because i'm not registered. so what? i am assuming since this forum allows unregistered persons to make comments that i shouldn't have any reason not to post. do you have a problem? your answer to my post was extremely poorly thought-out and had absolutely no relevance to my post. the only hint of reason in your rebuttal was you reiterating my point. sorry, i posted assumptively; assuming that most people here would know that rg59 is lower quality cable than rg6. but thank you for pointing out the obvious anyway. you must be so educated in the matter.

allow me to continue your lead of playing captain obvious. rg59 is cheaper than rg6, and it is what cable installers used for most mdu installs. so it makes sense that when an apartment building ends their contract with cable and enters into a new contract with dishnetwork, it will save them all sorts of money to have dish use the existing wiring. if you try hooking up a 3750 in a house with rg6 it will not function properly - if at all. have you tried it? perhaps if you'd like to continue being a pompous prick, you could go spend a small fee on ebay for a 3750 just to prove your point. i would totally encourage that. i already know how it works, therefore i am speaking from experience. the 3750 is built on technology that is only compatible with rg59 cabling, and only for the purpose of mdu installations using this "technology". thus it is not backwards compatible.

it is possible to connect a 3750 to a tivo, that was probably the only thing you got right; but you won't find them very compatible with eachother. in the list of codes to address you won't find echostar listed. but hey, if some idiot does want to spend over $200 just to use the tivo as a vcr, then more power to them. vcrs are definitely cheaper.

so there is my response, my fellow "guest" poster. <3

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    You have shown your utter ignorance of even the most basic of wiring concepts.

10. I think you posting as a guest because your a looser and you need to take an electronics course. Your the pompous prick...everyone in here knows RG59 is cheaper than RG6...what's your point? And again...I ask you what is so special about RG59 that wouldn't allow it to be "FORWARD COMPATIBLE" not "Backward Compatible" with RG6. The "Backword Compatibility" was used in a reverse connotation of RG6 to RG59....you switched this. RG6 supports a higher bandwidth and current carrying capacity, not less...which would mean it would function just fine as a RG59 replacement and wouldn't render the configuration useless... Many homeowners have their new home built, prewired with RG6, and these people, including myself, have used cable TV systems (that were originally designed for RG59) just fine using RG6...You have know clue what your talking about and should refrain from doing any wiring at all.

A Tivo will work just fine...who the hell really cares it the remote codes work or not....hell how many people have top of the line receivers and still can't use the remote to control all of their devices...your lame...only you would see remote code incapability as not being able to record a show. And some people have paid much more than $200 for a VCR...if a user wants a Tivo who the hell are you or I to say it's a waste of money...

11. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Gee - another thread where we have people not abiding by this site's terms of conduct. What is the point for flaming and getting ignorant with everyone when it doesn't really matter? Personally, I feel that if you can't act like an adult, you should go somewhere else. This site's purpose is to help others solve problems. If you are not going to give out correct(and anyone can be wrong, that's why we check up on each other) or useful info, then please go somewhere else.

12. Who are you directing this response to...The original Guest giving out incorrect info or the "Guest Basher", i.e. myself

You know as well as I do most any wire can carry electricity or electrical signals...and yes I know about loads, voltage, and current carrying capcities/limits, etc.

Anybody could use a 24 gauge wire to power say a chest freezer for a few moments before the wire burned up. Similar goes for wires carrying signals. I could hook up cable TV to my TV's RF port using 24 gauge or smaller wire, though the results would be poor do to lack of shielding and other Ohm's law basics.

Do you disagree that this couldn't be done or are you just cheesed off at the fact a "Guest" has flamed another "Guest"?

I do not condone the attitude I have taken here. And I do this to prove most guest postings are nothing more than people that are too ignorant to standby the information in their postings and do not want to tarnish their normal reputation and/or they just want to cheese everyone off. (Which do you think is the scenario?)

13. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Would a moderator please close this thread before it turns into another terminator thread???

Jason

14. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Hang on Jason.........................

I could care less who is correct or not. It just isn't neccessary to create this type of friction. I am not saying one person is any more correct than the other. I just don't see why someone has to deliberatrly post stuff degrading someone else's opinion. Heck, I'm not immune from this myself. I make a smart*ss comment about MickDog in another post, so I am no better than any other person here. I just would like to see this topic end up with an actual answer so I have some idea whether this will work should I ever encounter such a situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.