1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the HR20 an inferior product

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bdowell, Oct 25, 2007.

Is the HR20 an inferior product? (compared to HR10-250)

1. Yes, I truly and honestly believe it is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it isn't. Different yes, but not inferior.

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    For purposes of this poll, please only answer IF you have owned and used both the HR10-250 (original TiVo based HD DVR) and an HR20-xxx receiver (any sub model of the HR20) for more than one week each.

I'm not looking for answers from people that used one or the other for only a day or two, I'm looking for answers from people that have used both enough to HONESTLY answer as to whether or not they can truly say that they believe that the HR20 is an inferior product.

Further, I'm gonna ask that when you choose your answer you don't simply choose 'Yes, it's inferior' just because it's not TiVo based. Answering that it's inferior because it's not TiVo doesn't address whether the units work as DVRs and do the jobs they were intended to do. Such answers merely inject opinions into the poll and that isn't what the poll is trying to find.

The question is if you really consider the HR20 an inferior machine, most especially when compared to the HR10 units.

If I can set the options correctly, this will be a PUBLIC POLL so haters that have never used one or the other of the two choices will be seen.

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Compared to the HR10? No way. It is better in many ways. Compared to a non-HR10 TiVo? Maybe not.

Other than doing HD, my HR10 was a huge step backwards from my SD DirecTiVo's in many ways. Saying the HR20 is better than the HR10 is damning with faint praise.

3. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    They have testers, listen to customers, and continually offer updates to fix the bugs. DirecTV has so much on their plate. They have to send up another satellite to get those 100 HD by spring of 2008. The company is in the process of being transferred to Liberty (John Malone) from Rupert Murdoch.

Too many pessimists. So far they have been pretty on target with promising HD content, and updating firmware to fix problems.

4. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    Note by the way the same poll question is asked over at: TiVo Community Forum where one incredibly persistent individual keeps pointing to a few flawed and skewed polls from this site in continuing to claim that the HR20 is an inferior product.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Besides the fact that the HR10-250 has DLB, other than that it is not even in the same ball park as the HR20.

I will take an HR20 over an HR10-250 any day.

6. jmr21

jmr21 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    I owned the HR10-250 for about 18 months, and it was so incredibly slow that I was never able to get past that barrier to appreciate its TIVO features. I've now got an HR20-100 and an HR20-700, and they are much more of a pleasure to use because of their speed and responsivness.

Mike

7. Swheat

Swheat Legend

Aug 10, 2005
    I really liked my HR10 when I had it. But, I really like my HR20, now that I have it. Compared to the HR10, my HR20 gets a better picture and is so much faster and easier to use. It's like night and day. It just keeps getting better too.

8. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Yeah, this about sums up how I feel as well. And, frankly, the only time I even remotely miss DLB is Sundays when I'm going back and forth between games.

9. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    +1

10. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I was really on the fence here but had to say no. If the HR10 did mpeg4 that might change. Then when the HR20 gets MRV it would change back :)

11. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Handling OTA and the vastly more reliable (for now, anyway) season pass recording was/is clearly better on the HR10-250.

But, I can't call the HR20 an inferior product, since it's faster and has network/Internet based capabilities, etc.

I think if they would have "added" all of the HR20 new features to a next-gen HR10-250 TiVo model, that would have been smokin'!

12. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I can't imagine going back to a slow responding DVR.

13. bgullicksen

bgullicksen Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    I've owned my HR10 for several years and my HR20 for one year now and the HR20 is by far a superior product. The picture quality on the HR20 is better. Responsiveness is light years above the HR10. Changing your recurring recordings (HR20 Prioritizer) is like night and day. It would take forever to make changes or add a new show to the HR10 and it is instantaneous on the HR20.

Directv continues to improve this unit and it keeps getting better. I was an early adopter and this unit has had its problems, but Directv has been working with us for almost a year now to make this unit better and it has come a long way!

-Bill

14. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    No doubt!

15. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Owned both and don't miss the DirecTIVO at all. The HR20 is just as good - actually better in my mind.

16. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Just notice what I say in my sig. :)

17. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    I owned a HR10-250 for a couple of years. I had to replace it twice. The first time D* sent me a refurb. It lasted about 4 months. The last time they sent me a brand new unit and it lasted until I upgraded to the HR20-700. I still have not learned all the nuances of the HR20 but I can say I do like it more. Not that I disliked the Tivo but the HR20 has more features and ability for add ons. I have not experienced any recording issues and I'm working on my second month of ownership. I'm a satisfied customer thus far.

18. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    It does do a few things better than Tivo, and just the fact that they have the CE program and seem to be making constant improvements is encouraging, however some of their insistance on "re-inventing the wheel" just to be different (at the expense of being much worse) is frustrating.

19. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Just wish these HD units had a faster processor.

They seem to delay and stall, Game Lounge on H20 is slow ,old 1983 color computer was faster/smoother.

Matt

20. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    Interesting that even at the TiVo Community Forums the poll is headed in the direction I would have expected. Not as overwhelmingly positive as over here, but still (so far) the majority doesn't believe the HR20 is an inferior product.

Not that some people will ever accept these results, but good to see that people are at least (apparently) honest in admitting that the box isn't 'inferior.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.